Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Greene & Green Style

There was a thread on the rec a few weeks ago about Darrell Peart's Green &
Greene style furniture. These are some pics of my credenza, the first piece
in my office suite based on the style and the details I learned taking a
weekend class with Darrell.
Made from Claro Walnut with ebony details.
Pics aren't that good but I'll try and get some more professional shots done
when I finish the desk and computer return

Attached Thumbnails
Greene & Green Style-credenza1-jpg  Greene & Green Style-credenza2-jpg  Greene & Green Style-credenza3-jpg  Greene & Green Style-credenza4-jpg  Greene & Green Style-credenza5-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

&
Greene style furniture. These are some pics of my credenza, the first
piece
in my office suite based on the style and the details I learned taking a
weekend class with Darrell.
Made from Claro Walnut with ebony details.
Pics aren't that good but I'll try and get some more professional shots
done
when I finish the desk and computer return

The fronts and side pieces are stunning.

Did you cut the veneer yourself or buy them from some where?

And where did you get the wood?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Only veneer is the side panels and the door fronts on the side. Rest is
solids.
Didn't cut the veneer. The side veneer came from a batch I bought at Marc
Adams school a couple years ago. At the end of his veneering/marquety
classes he lays out flitches of veneers he has and sells them to the
students at pretty cheap rates.
Not sure where the other veneer came from, had it on my shelf for several
years waiting for a home. Might have come from veneersupplies.com. I've
bought a lot of great veneer from him over the past years. Good supplies and
info on veneer pressing also.
The figured Claro walnut is really the best looking parts on the piece - the
photos don't do the color and figure justice.

Gary in KC

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Gary A in KC" wrote in message
There was a thread on the rec a few weeks ago about Darrell Peart's

Green
&
Greene style furniture. These are some pics of my credenza, the first
piece
in my office suite based on the style and the details I learned taking a
weekend class with Darrell.
Made from Claro Walnut with ebony details.
Pics aren't that good but I'll try and get some more professional shots
done
when I finish the desk and computer return

The fronts and side pieces are stunning.

Did you cut the veneer yourself or buy them from some where?

And where did you get the wood?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gary A in KC wrote:

There was a thread on the rec a few weeks ago about Darrell Peart's Green
& Greene style furniture. These are some pics of my credenza, the first
piece in my office suite based on the style and the details I learned
taking a weekend class with Darrell.
Made from Claro Walnut with ebony details.
Pics aren't that good but I'll try and get some more professional shots
done when I finish the desk and computer return

Beautiful wood, nice design. Just out of curiosity, what led to your
decision to have the cloud lifts for the lower rails in the orientation you
chose?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gary A in KC laid this down on his screen :
There was a thread on the rec a few weeks ago about Darrell Peart's Green &
Greene style furniture. These are some pics of my credenza, the first piece
in my office suite based on the style and the details I learned taking a
weekend class with Darrell.
Made from Claro Walnut with ebony details.
Pics aren't that good but I'll try and get some more professional shots done
when I finish the desk and computer return

That's a beautiful piece of furniture, Gary. You should be proud.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Designs not mine actually - came from an old Fine Woodworking article.
It's a loose interpretation of the Thorsen House Sideboard (one of the last
Greene & Greene ultimate bungalow houses). Link to a pic of the Thorsen
sideboard:
http://dpg.lib.berkeley.edu/webdb/gg...Thorsen-DA-308

I actuallly played with the cloudlift a little and with this wide of a piece
(it's about 6 feet wide) and a single board across the front spanning the
legs, the cloudlift going to the outside and upwards seems to "lighten" the
design a little bit. It also helps break up the straight lines of the front
and gives it a less rigid look. I couldn't come up with anything that I
liked better so I stayed with the design.

Gary in KC

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Beautiful wood, nice design. Just out of curiosity, what led to your
decision to have the cloud lifts for the lower rails in the orientation

you
chose?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gary A in KC wrote:

Designs not mine actually - came from an old Fine Woodworking article.
It's a loose interpretation of the Thorsen House Sideboard (one of the
last Greene & Greene ultimate bungalow houses). Link to a pic of the
Thorsen sideboard:

http://dpg.lib.berkeley.edu/webdb/gg...Thorsen-DA-308

I actuallly played with the cloudlift a little and with this wide of a
piece (it's about 6 feet wide) and a single board across the front
spanning the legs, the cloudlift going to the outside and upwards seems to
"lighten" the design a little bit. It also helps break up the straight
lines of the front and gives it a less rigid look. I couldn't come up with
anything that I liked better so I stayed with the design.

Thanks for the link and the explanation. The orientation seemed different
than most lifts -- it's interesting to understand the reason for that
choice.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Beautiful wood, nice design. Just out of curiosity, what led to your
decision to have the cloud lifts for the lower rails in the orientation

you
chose?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:05:53 -0600, The Damicos
wrote:

Gary A in KC laid this down on his screen :
There was a thread on the rec a few weeks ago about Darrell Peart's Green &
Greene style furniture. These are some pics of my credenza, the first piece
in my office suite based on the style and the details I learned taking a
weekend class with Darrell.
Made from Claro Walnut with ebony details.
Pics aren't that good but I'll try and get some more professional shots done
when I finish the desk and computer return

That's a beautiful piece of furniture, Gary. You should be proud.

Yes, very nice indeed ! Bravo !

Lenny