Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Greene & Green Style

Gary A in KC wrote:

Designs not mine actually - came from an old Fine Woodworking article.
It's a loose interpretation of the Thorsen House Sideboard (one of the
last Greene & Greene ultimate bungalow houses). Link to a pic of the
Thorsen sideboard:

http://dpg.lib.berkeley.edu/webdb/gg...Thorsen-DA-308

I actuallly played with the cloudlift a little and with this wide of a
piece (it's about 6 feet wide) and a single board across the front
spanning the legs, the cloudlift going to the outside and upwards seems to
"lighten" the design a little bit. It also helps break up the straight
lines of the front and gives it a less rigid look. I couldn't come up with
anything that I liked better so I stayed with the design.

Thanks for the link and the explanation. The orientation seemed different
than most lifts -- it's interesting to understand the reason for that
choice.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Beautiful wood, nice design. Just out of curiosity, what led to your
decision to have the cloud lifts for the lower rails in the orientation

you
chose?