Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Greene & Greene chairs at auction: $700,000-900,000 estimate

A living room chair from the R.R. Blacker House (1907) designed by
Greene and Greene is going up for auction on June 19th at Sotheby's.
The estimated price is $700,000 to $900,000. It's a gorgeous piece with
joinery all others strive to imitate.

http://sothebys.com/
Important 20th Century Design

Sale: N08331

Also offered will be a bedroom chair, $300,000 - $400,000, and lastly
some bedroom andirons, $40,000 - $60,000.

I used to live in the Blacker House, and there is a family (Andersons?)
who bought a lot of furniture shortly after Mrs. Blacker died; they used
it for everyday stuff until they realized that they were sitting on a
mountain of gold.

One day, out of the blue, they sent us a letter (by overnight Federal
Express -- possibly to add some excitement to their message?) offering
us first crack at a breakfast room table for $390,000.00 -- of course,
offering us a glorious opportunity to bring the piece back to the house
before they offered it to some museum. We politely declined. It later
sold at Christie's for around $60,000. I can't help but feel touched
that they extended us such a wonderful opportunity.

Disclaimer: I no longer live in the Blacker House, but the new owners
whom my spiteful former wife sold it to and who have put theirs hearts
and fortune into it (it must be at least $3-5 million above what they
paid for it) has done a marvelous restoration.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John,
Disclaimer: I no longer live in the Blacker House, but the new owners
whom my spiteful former wife sold it to and who have put theirs hearts
and fortune into it (it must be at least $3-5 million above what they
paid for it) has done a marvelous restoration.

Yes they have done a great job, the artisans who did the work and
owners who ponied up the dough to make it happen. Saw the
house when it was on tour after the restoration, as I understand,
they no longer do tours. Shame really. Stands as a nice
complement to the Gamble house.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

Results of today's auction, including Buyer's premium:

Lot 79 $913,600 living room chair
Lot 80 $396,000 bedroom chair
Lot 81 $66,000 andirons