Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Shamanic Wand

This is a wand I made for my daughter. At the bottom is a birds foot
clutching the earth (with somewhat realistic continents!) The handle is
woven deerskin. Then American Indian symbols saying something like "The
Great Spirit wards off evil through good medicine leading to happiness.
May life's journey give you friendship and great abundance to your
final destination." Or at least that was the intention! At the top is 3
carved feathers holding a small piece of torquoise. The wood is silver
willow, I think. It was a gift from a friend at work a while ago.
Finish is BLO and several coats of wax. I hadn't worked with leather in
a while so it was fun to throw it in on something. She just loves it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The Damicos brought next idea :
This is a wand I made for my daughter. At the bottom is a birds foot
clutching the earth (with somewhat realistic continents!) The handle is woven
deerskin. Then American Indian symbols saying something like "The Great
Spirit wards off evil through good medicine leading to happiness. May life's
journey give you friendship and great abundance to your final destination."
Or at least that was the intention! At the top is 3 carved feathers holding a
small piece of torquoise. The wood is silver willow, I think. It was a gift
from a friend at work a while ago. Finish is BLO and several coats of wax. I
hadn't worked with leather in a while so it was fun to throw it in on
something. She just loves it.

Here's a 2nd view...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"The Damicos" wrote in message
Here's a 2nd view...

I've been working with leather for awhile and occasionally a project that
has various types of weaving like the attached image with inside trick braid
and five layered lacing. However none of the books I've come across offer
instructions on the type of braid you put on that wand. Can you suggest a
book or is it solely a passed down art?

Thanks
Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Shamanic Wand-rye-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I've been working with leather for awhile and occasionally a project
that has various types of weaving like the attached image with inside
trick braid and five layered lacing. However none of the books I've
come across offer instructions on the type of braid you put on that
wand. Can you suggest a book or is it solely a passed down art?

The Ashley Book of Knots shows how to do that kind of thing - look at the
chapter on Turk's Heads.

Scott
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Elrond Hubbard" wrote in message
The Ashley Book of Knots shows how to do that kind of thing - look at the
chapter on Turk's Heads.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Upscale explained :
"The Damicos" wrote in message
Here's a 2nd view...

I've been working with leather for awhile and occasionally a project that
has various types of weaving like the attached image with inside trick braid
and five layered lacing. However none of the books I've come across offer
instructions on the type of braid you put on that wand. Can you suggest a
book or is it solely a passed down art?

Thanks
Dave

nothing that elaborate Dave. It's just woven; polished side next to
rough side. Then backwoven at each end. But I'll consider your question
a compliment and thank you for it!