Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Magic Wand - With A Twist

The Fall 2007 American Woodturner magazine has a five page, well
illustrated article Barbara Dill on multi-axis turning that is, for me
at least, like decoding the Rosetta Stone. Two major enlightenments
in the article are about using intersecting arcs to produce a lense
shaped cross section rather than a circular one, and how to put a
twist - albeit only a quarter turn, in a piece.

After turning some experiments with the concepts in the article
I did the attached Magic Wand - Wtih A Twist. Wand is maple, the
handle is maybe rosewood?

Am working on a web page or two (OK so it may turn out to be
10 or 12 pages) on ARCS and TWISTS.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...iCenters1.html

This article alone makes the $45 annual membership fee for AAW worth
every penny. Can't wait to see Part 2 of Barbara's Multi-Axis Turning
article.

Breaking out of Symetrical turning sure is interesting.

charlie b

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TwoTwistMagicWand.jpg (51.2 KB, 44 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
[...]

Interesting piece, but actually I can't see anything twisted. My
ancient eyes, probably at fault.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

There is no substitute for
incomprehensible good luck.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:43:23 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

charlieb wrote:
[...]

The wand looks more bent than twisted to me....
Then again, this IS Charlie, so it's automatically a bit twisted....... lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:

Interesting piece, but actually I can't see anything twisted. My
ancient eyes, probably at fault.

Maybe this will help . The second set of red background photos
show the twist better.

mac davis wrote:

The wand looks more bent than twisted to me....

Both the maple wand "body" and the rosewood (?) handle are tapered.
By adding the quater twist in opposite directions it does make it
look
kind of bent. Hmmmm - wonder how I can use that?

Then again, this IS Charlie, so it's automatically a bit twisted....... lol

I prefer to think of myself more as warped than twisted. I flatten
out as I dry - most of the time.

charlie b
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

charlieb formulated the question :

mac davis wrote:

The wand looks more bent than twisted to me....

Both the maple wand "body" and the rosewood (?) handle are tapered.
By adding the quater twist in opposite directions it does make it
look
kind of bent. Hmmmm - wonder how I can use that?

Then again, this IS Charlie, so it's automatically a bit twisted....... lol

I prefer to think of myself more as warped than twisted. I flatten
out as I dry - most of the time.

charlie b

But do you retain one true edge?

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 11:54:02 -0700, charlieb wrote:

Then again, this IS Charlie, so it's automatically a bit twisted....... lol

I prefer to think of myself more as warped than twisted. I flatten
out as I dry - most of the time.

charlie b

That was a compliment, Charlie... and I think that was how you took it...

IMHO, the worst possible thing you can be is "normal"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

That was a compliment, Charlie... and I think that was how you took it...

IMHO, the worst possible thing you can be is "normal"..

Absolutely - on both counts. "Normal" is boring.

Casper wrote:

Super wand Charlie. I really like the contrast and the twist.

Thanks

I love wands, but I'm not brave enough to try the twisting thing yet.

What bravery?

If you can turn a square blank round then you can turn a twist.
Only three things that are different.
1. you're using two "centers", each offset from the blank's
actual center
2. the centers on one end of the blank is rotated 90 degrees
to the centers on the other end of the blank

+ 1
1 2
x + x +

+ 2

3. you only turn part of a circle for each pair of centers
rather than turning a full circle

As for gouges - a half inch roughing gouge works just fine.
I ground my corners back just a bit to keep then from
catching but if you're careful a squared end roughing
gouge will do the job.

If it's the twist that has you concerned, start with an oval
Mount the blank between centers 1-1 and "knock off" one
corner of the blank. Remount the blank between centers
2-2 and "knock off" the opposite corner.

Repeat the process until there are NO corners.

+ 1 +1

x x

+ 2 + 2

What you'll get is basically an oval. Once you've done
an oval, just do the next one with a twist.

It really isn't that hard - honest. Just say to yourself
"If that idiot can do - then I sure as hell can!" and start
slinging wood.

If you think you need more infor - this might help

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...iCenters1.html

Grab a 3/4" thick board of poplar or maple, rip
some 3/4 x 3/4 x 6" blanks and start playing
with them.

Escape from the Confines of Round!

charlie b

ps - the rawings of the twists may have a problem
so don't rely on them. Am working on finding
out what's not quite right and will fix things.