Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Math help needed - triangle.jpg

Hi,
I am working on a project that requires a triangle to be made. I
didn't do that well in algebra. I've attached a picture showing the
angles of the triangle. If I remembered correctly, that all three
sides add up to be 180 degrees. So, with the bottom being 50, that
makes each top to be 65 degrees. I want to miter each corner and
wouldn't you just divide 65 and 50 in half, making them 32.5 and 25
degrees?
Thanks,
John

Attached Thumbnails
Math help needed - triangle.jpg-triangle-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
Hi,
I am working on a project that requires a triangle to be made. I
didn't do that well in algebra. I've attached a picture showing the
angles of the triangle. If I remembered correctly, that all three
sides add up to be 180 degrees. So, with the bottom being 50, that
makes each top to be 65 degrees. I want to miter each corner and
wouldn't you just divide 65 and 50 in half, making them 32.5 and 25
degrees?
Thanks,
John

Yes and no.

The yes part:

Yes, your math is correct. Yes, given the 65 degree angles at the top,
the bottom angle should be 50. Yes, you want to create miter angles
on your boards that are 32.5 and 25 degrees.

And now for the no part:

You want your miter angles to be 32.5 and 25 degrees from the side
of your board. From this point of view, a cut perpendicular to the side
of the board is 90 degrees. However the typical miter gauge indicates
0 degrees for a cut perpendicular to the side of the piece being cut.
Thus to get the angles that you want, you need to set your miter gauge
to 90 - 32.5 = 57.5 and 90 - 25 = 65 degrees.

And now for the extra complication:

My miter gauge only goes to 60 degrees. Thus I cannot set it to the
65 degree value needed for the miter cuts for the bottom or your triangle.
To get the 65 degree cut, I would probably cut a piece of scrap to 45
degrees, fasten the scrap to the gauge, and then set the gauge to 20 degrees.
The edge of the scrap would then be at 65 degrees.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:57:23 -0400, John
wrote:

...the bottom being 50 makes each top 65 degrees. I want to miter each corner and
wouldn't you just divide 65 and 50 in half, making them 32.5 and 25
degrees?

You're going in the right direction, but remember that the degree
measurement of a miter cut measures off the perpendicular - 0 degrees
is a square cut at 90 degrees to the reference edge. So the 32.5 cut
would require the miter cut be made at (90-32.5) = 57.5 degrees and
the 25 degree cut would require a miter setting of (90-25) = 65
degrees. Those angles, especially the 65 degree setting, is outside
the range of setting on my miter saw, not sure about the miter gauge
on the table saw, so it may require that you either come up with some
sort of jig/fixture or break out the hand saw and cut them by hand.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

John wrote:

Hi,
I am working on a project that requires a triangle to be made. I
didn't do that well in algebra. I've attached a picture showing the
angles of the triangle. If I remembered correctly, that all three
sides add up to be 180 degrees. So, with the bottom being 50, that
makes each top to be 65 degrees. I want to miter each corner and
wouldn't you just divide 65 and 50 in half, making them 32.5 and 25
degrees?
Thanks,
John

Name: triangle.jpg
triangle.jpg Type: JPEG Image (image/jpeg)
Encoding: base64

===
Actually, the reason you did not do too good in algebra is because you
should have been in geometry.

Ray
===

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I think that if I make a jig 90 degrees to the angle you normally
place the wood on the miter saw. Having the wood to stick out instead
of side to side and clamp it down security, that would solve the
problem, I think. Boy, I am glad I don't have many to make, LOL.
John

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks Dan, that was lot of help.
Regards,
John

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:49:57 -0700, "Dan Coby"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"John" wrote:

I think that if I make a jig 90 degrees to the angle you normally
place the wood on the miter saw. Having the wood to stick out
instead
of side to side and clamp it down security, that would solve the
problem, I think. Boy, I am glad I don't have many to make, LOL.

If you build a sled, then tack a batten at the required angle, you
will greatly simplify cutting repetitive parts to size.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
I think that if I make a jig 90 degrees to the angle you normally
place the wood on the miter saw. Having the wood to stick out instead
of side to side and clamp it down security, that would solve the
problem, I think. Boy, I am glad I don't have many to make, LOL.
John

///snipped///

John
Perhaps you might take a protractor, mark your cut angle on the side of your
work, then cut it with a hand saw. I know Norm would never approve of using
hand tools but........Just a suggestion.

DaveD

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Actually, cutting it by hand never entered my mind. I'll keep that in
mind next time that comes up.
Thanks,
John
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:09:55 -0800, "Dave and Trudy"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
I think that if I make a jig 90 degrees to the angle you normally
place the wood on the miter saw. Having the wood to stick out instead
of side to side and clamp it down security, that would solve the
problem, I think. Boy, I am glad I don't have many to make, LOL.
John

///snipped///

John
Perhaps you might take a protractor, mark your cut angle on the side of your
work, then cut it with a hand saw. I know Norm would never approve of using
hand tools but........Just a suggestion.

DaveD

DR Horton in NC Triangle Area [email protected] Home Ownership 3 December 31st 06 05:46 AM
Triangle math problem ok Home Repair 21 June 10th 05 03:07 AM
Triangle Table Al Holstein Woodworking 9 May 10th 05 02:40 AM