ok

Default Triangle math problem

It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

dug

h2 = a2 + b2
h2 =(39*39)+(37*37)
h2 = 1521+1369
h2 =2890
h =53.758 feet
"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

Doug Miller

In article , "ok" wrote:
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?

53ft 9in

Here's where that came from:

a squared + b squared = c squared (Pythagorean theorem)

39 squared + 37 squared = c squared
1521 + 1369 = c squared = 2890
c = square root (2890) = 53.759

--
Regards,

World Traveler

For a right triangle, the value of the hypotenuse is the square root of the
sum of the two sides.

37 sq = 1369
39 sq = 1521
sum is 2890
sq root of 2890 - 53.75872

You can do the calcs with the calculater included in the Windows
accessories, or just open up a new Excel spreadsheet and let it do the
calculations. I normally do this type of calculation in an excel
spreadsheet because I can track each item or make changes as necessary.
Excel can be just a nice, visual calculator.

Regards --

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

Harry K

That'll be enough of that. We can't have everybody agreeing on
something in this forum!

Harry K

barbarow

39 x 39 = 1521
37 x 37 = 1369
Total = 2890
Square root of 2890 = 53.76 ft

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

SteveB

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft.
and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

On a calculator, 39, X, =, M+, 37, X, =, M+,MR, square root key. Learn it.
It is easy, and you will use it often.

Steve

Stormin Mormon

1500th reply, w00tness!

We all know about Pythagoras and his famous theorem, but did you know that
the same principle was discovered in what is now America? Centuries ago, an
explorer found himself in an Indian village. He taught the people there
various things about his culture, and in turn learned many things about
theirs. But he was perplexed by one thing - the three wives of the village's
chief. One was sitting on a buffalo hide, and wore very plain clothes and
little jewelry, as did the second, who also sat on a buffalo hide. But, next
to them, there was a woman sitting up high on the carcass of a hippopotomus,
and she had nothing but the finest clothing, jewelry, respect, et cetera.
The explorer asked the chief why she was held in much higher regard than the
others, and the chief replied, "Don't you know anything about math? The sum
of the squaws of the two hides is equal to the squaw of the hippopotomus!"

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

Stormin Mormon

Several hundred years ago in North America, there lived a tribe of Native
Americans. It so happened that three young squaws of the tribe found
themselves expecting children. It was their tradition that the first surface
touched by a new born baby should be that of an animal skin procured for the
occasion. And so it happened that the three young bucks responsible went out
on a hunt for birthing skins for their squaws.

A few days later, the three men returned after a successful hunt with their
birthing skins and food for the tribe. The first buck had bagged a deer, and
the second had killed a bear. The third buck had spotted a huge animal
swimming in a river, and harvested a rare American hippopotamus.

More time passed, and the blessed events came, all at the same time. The
three squaws prepared to give birth. The first squaw gave birth to a baby
boy on the deer skin. The second squaw gave birth to a baby girl on the bear
skin. The third squaw gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl, on the
hippopotamus skin.

And so even in ancient America they knew that ... The squaw of the
hippopotomus is equal the sum of the squaws of the other two hides.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

PrecisionMachinisT

"World Traveler" wrote in message
k.net...
For a right triangle, the value of the hypotenuse is the square root of

the
sum of the two sides.

37 sq = 1369
39 sq = 1521
sum is 2890
sq root of 2890 - 53.75872

You can do the calcs with the calculater included in the Windows
accessories, or just open up a new Excel spreadsheet and let it do the
calculations. I normally do this type of calculation in an excel
spreadsheet because I can track each item or make changes as necessary.
Excel can be just a nice, visual calculator.

53.75872ft....I get the same results with my cad system.

Still working on that seven sided gazebo though--those darned rafters, you
know.....

--

SVL

h =53.758 feet

.......53.759 feet, if the squaw on the hippopotamous
equals the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.

...one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and they meet at a right angle,
how long is the third side?

Nick

Guess who

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:28:30 GMT, "ok" wrote:

It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?

You'll get some good, and some weak replies. This is 2005, so you are
saved form this bother. Get a simple freeware or shareware CAD
program and draw the thing; no calculation needed. I swear by
DeltaCad, and you can download a trial run. "Dimension" one point to
another and you are given the result on the drawing. I know a ton of
old techniques for calculating and drawing, and I use the CAD program
to save time and effort ...or can switch to pen and paper if
necessary.

JJ

Thanks to all of you! Even the mormon for the groaner!
The last time I had to know the square of something, I calculated it on my
sliderule.
Thanks again
"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

PhotoMan

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

a² + b² = c²
39² + 37² = c²
1521 + 1369 = c²
2890 = c²
v 2890 = 53.758720222862448643981190255356'

PipeDown

53.758720222862448643981190255356'

LMAO

The OP gave significant figures in feet. Any answer more precise than
53ft-9in is overkill. In fact 54feet is adequate given the accuracy of the
original values.

(this was for the poster who didn't like everyone agreeing)

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
. ..

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft.
and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

a² + b² = c²
39² + 37² = c²
1521 + 1369 = c²
2890 = c²
v 2890 = 53.758720222862448643981190255356'

Ron

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
news |
| "World Traveler" wrote in message
| k.net...
| For a right triangle, the value of the hypotenuse is the square root of
| the
| sum of the two sides.
|
| 37 sq = 1369
| 39 sq = 1521
| sum is 2890
| sq root of 2890 - 53.75872
|
| You can do the calcs with the calculater included in the Windows
| accessories, or just open up a new Excel spreadsheet and let it do the
| calculations. I normally do this type of calculation in an excel
| spreadsheet because I can track each item or make changes as necessary.
| Excel can be just a nice, visual calculator.
|

| 53.75872ft....I get the same results with my cad system.
|
| Still working on that seven sided gazebo though--those darned rafters, you
| know.....
|
| --
|
| SVL

CAD system to solve a simple Pythagorean theorem?? hahaha.. it's a little
overkill, isn't?

HerHusband

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37
ft. and they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?

square root of ("39" squared + "37" squared) = 53 feet, 9 inches

In fact 54 feet is adequate given the accuracy of the original values.

Not necessarily. When I was calculating the diagonal to square up our
40'x40' foundation forms, I came up with 56 feet, 6-3/4 inches. I'm sure
the 3/4" was a bit more accurate than I needed to be over that distance,
but I sure wouldn't have wanted to round that off to 57 feet.

Anthony

clifto

PipeDown wrote:
53.758720222862448643981190255356'

Give or take a yoctofoot.

--
I miss my .signature.
Ross Mac

"ok" wrote in message
m...
It's been way too many years since I was in a math class and need help.

If I have a triangle that has one side at 39ft, the 2nd side is 37 ft. and
they meet at a right angle, how long is the third side?
Many thanks!

As they have all said....the root of the sum of the squares....finally a
thread in agreeance....Ross