Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Ping: Gerald Ross - dogwood (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Ping: Gerald Ross - dogwood (1/1)-dw01-jpg  Ping: Gerald Ross - dogwood (1/1)-dw03-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw02.jpg (11.4 KB, 30 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Gerald Ross - dogwood (1/1)

In turning is this fantastic grain something you know will happen or is it
usually a surprise.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:51:59 -0600, "asmurff" wrote:

In turning is this fantastic grain something you know will happen or is it
usually a surprise.

I'm guessing that you mean the spalting, (light and dark figure) not the grain,
right?

AFAIK, it's caused by a fungus when drying... Gerald sent me 2 rough-turned
dogwood bowl blanks, one had spalted, the other stayed pink..

usually, you can't really see how or where a log has spalted until you let it
start drying and cut it up...
Others in the group can give you better and more technique info..

I brought some pretty bland looking pepper and oak to Mexico when I moved from
California, and to my surprise, they were both wonderfully spalted after a few
months here in the heat and humidity...

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

You did a bang-up job. Glad to have helped out a worthy cause. Have
you made any acorns?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Lawyer: a cat who settles disputes
between mice.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:54:24 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

You did a bang-up job. Glad to have helped out a worthy cause. Have
you made any acorns?

Hell no... lol

You have a definite niche there and do it well, I want to make a little bit
bigger stuff, Gerald...

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Ping: Gerald Ross - dogwood (0/1) mac davis[_4_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 April 13th 08 03:29 PM
Ping: Gerald Ross. Nova rising (1/1) mac davis[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 February 7th 08 05:10 PM
Ping: Gerald Ross. Nova rising (0/1) mac davis[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 February 6th 08 08:38 PM
Dogwood ScottKlassen Woodturning 5 November 7th 07 05:41 PM
What to do with Dogwood Bob Darrah Woodturning 9 November 3rd 04 01:39 AM