Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Trip to the sawmill

I went to the saw mill the other day. My intent was to transfer some his
unwanted inventory to my empty barn space. He had a roughly 450 bf pile of
miscellaneous "pallet wood" that he said I could have for 40 cents a foot:
mostly maple, about 100 bf of red oak and maybe 65bf of ash.

What he calls pallet wood means I'll have have to put 25% of it in the wood
stove to remove defects. For me this is the next half decade of drawer sides
and shop fixtures so I'm happy.

I did fine some peculiar defects which I'm thinking should be used to effect
is something, but Im not sure what. I have about 12 hard maple boards with
tap holes. The taps seem to cause a grey stain that travels for a foot or
two up and down past the tap.

I would appreciate any ideas of how to best use this "feature".

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Trip to the sawmill-16-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"C & S" wrote in message

I did fine some peculiar defects which I'm thinking should be used to
effect
is something, but Im not sure what. I have about 12 hard maple boards with
tap holes. The taps seem to cause a grey stain that travels for a foot
or
two up and down past the tap.

I would appreciate any ideas of how to best use this "feature".

Could make an interesting rustic style furniture. Or maybe a pallet.

I can see a headline next year though. "Maple Syrup Farmer Attacked By
Raging Woodworker"

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

They look to me like the holes made by borer bees in our area.
Nasty, destructive beasts, will make holes in ANYTHING wood, even got one of
my shovel handles.

We keep after them with pesticide anytime we see them trying to make a
nest.

You might check to be sure you don't have this sort of critter or any of
it's larvae in your treasure trove.

Kate

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"C & S" wrote in message

I did fine some peculiar defects which I'm thinking should be used to
effect
is something, but Im not sure what. I have about 12 hard maple boards with
tap holes. The taps seem to cause a grey stain that travels for a foot
or
two up and down past the tap.

I would appreciate any ideas of how to best use this "feature".

Could make an interesting rustic style furniture. Or maybe a pallet.

I can see a headline next year though. "Maple Syrup Farmer Attacked By
Raging Woodworker"

Sawmill Question... Ron c. Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 January 14th 08 01:17 AM
Sawmill Mark & Juanita Woodworking 0 January 27th 07 03:59 AM
sawmill creek down? alexy Woodworking 3 September 2nd 06 10:10 PM
First trip to sawmill tomorrow Matt S Woodworking 22 December 24th 05 08:53 PM