Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Pen holder

I wanted a pen holder for my new cherry (veneer) desk so I took a few
minutes to make one today.

We had to move our plant and office unexpectedly (fire in the building) last
July so we just got done with office renovations and new furniture. After
eight months of working on a small table, using what furniture was at hand
it is nice to have a brand new office. Our first priority was getting the
plant up and running.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Attached Thumbnails
Pen holder-pen-2s-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
|I wanted a pen holder for my new cherry (veneer) desk so I took a few
| minutes to make one today.
|
| We had to move our plant and office unexpectedly (fire in the building)
last
| July so we just got done with office renovations and new furniture. After
| eight months of working on a small table, using what furniture was at hand
| it is nice to have a brand new office. Our first priority was getting the
| plant up and running.

Pen? What... no marking knife? ;~)

Interesting figure on the pen. What kind of wood is it? Looks stately with
your new holder...

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

Pen? What... no marking knife? ;~)

Interesting figure on the pen. What kind of wood is it? Looks stately with
your new holder...

John

The pen is a Parker Sonnet fountain pen. It is molded acrylic and the nib is
plated 18k gold. I have about 20 fountain pens, both new and antique.

Since; I often misplace my marking knife, you've given me an idea.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

| "John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
|
| Pen? What... no marking knife? ;~)
|
| Interesting figure on the pen. What kind of wood is it? Looks stately
with
| your new holder...
|
| John
|
| The pen is a Parker Sonnet fountain pen. It is molded acrylic and the nib
is
| plated 18k gold. I have about 20 fountain pens, both new and antique.
|
| Since; I often misplace my marking knife, you've given me an idea.

Acrylic.... interesting... I've only got one fountain pen that I've had for
about 23 years. The problem I ran into is that, since so much of my life is
done electronically now, the ink in the nib was constantly drying out and
thus the pen wouldn't write when I needed it. As such I retired the pen. I
mostly use an old fashion wooden pencil--Dixon Ticonderoga--when I need to
write something down. Funny thing is I probably use more pencils up in my
shop than I do writing. LOL

Post a photo of your marking knife holder when it's done. Me, I'll need a
double... left and right bevel knives!

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
I wanted a pen holder for my new cherry (veneer) desk so I took a few
minutes to make one today.

We had to move our plant and office unexpectedly (fire in the building)

last
July so we just got done with office renovations and new furniture. After
eight months of working on a small table, using what furniture was at hand
it is nice to have a brand new office. Our first priority was getting the
plant up and running.

Great! ... I thought I was the only one that did things like that. FWIW,
this "calculator stand", which has been laughed at by many visitors, would
fit right in with your pen holder:

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Attached Thumbnails
Pen holder-calcstand-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Great! ... I thought I was the only one that did things like that. FWIW,
this "calculator stand", which has been laughed at by many visitors, would
fit right in with your pen holder:

As the missus would say, "Oh, how cuuuuuute!"

G I have built a few of these types of items too. Including some nice
wood stand for business telephones with little drawers and trays to hold the
items needed to take telephone messages.

I have a theory on this. There seems to be some kind of decorator phobia
about electronics in general. It is OK to buy electronics big and small. In
fact if you don't spend some big bucks on electronics, you are insufferably
old fashioned. You just CAN'T LET ANYBODY SEE THEM!!

You have got to hide that big screen TV, calculator, cell phone, PDA, etc,
etc. It is almost like we are ashamed of them. It is like a lot of wimmin
folk go ballistic at the sight of tools, shops or anything getting fixed. I
have always considered desks to be workspaces. It is a place to do work. Why
wouldn't you want something to place a calculator in a conveient location so
that it is easy to use. Unless of course, you have no intention of doing
any real work!!

End of rant. I an still not awake. Anything is fair game for the next hour.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Great! ... I thought I was the only one that did things like that. FWIW,
this "calculator stand", which has been laughed at by many visitors, would
fit right in with your pen holder:

It's obvious. You suffer from the acute form of "tinyvoiceitis". That's when
some little piece of unused wood peeps into your ear "use me, use me" and
your mind is coerced into searching frantically for some place where the
wood can be used, no matter how innocuous or out of place it looks.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:06:21 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
Great! ... I thought I was the only one that did things like that. FWIW,
this "calculator stand", which has been laughed at by many visitors, would
fit right in with your pen holder:

It's obvious. You suffer from the acute form of "tinyvoiceitis". That's when
some little piece of unused wood peeps into your ear "use me, use me" and
your mind is coerced into searching frantically for some place where the
wood can be used, no matter how innocuous or out of place it looks.

Sounds like a cure would/wood be to turn pens.. ;-]

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Great! ... I thought I was the only one that did things like that. FWIW,
this "calculator stand", which has been laughed at by many visitors, would
fit right in with your pen holder:

Let 'em laugh. some of the simple little projects are the most fun.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I agree simple is good and can be fun. My wife asked for a holder that her
nail polish bottles could be laid over so she could get to all the polish.
Took me all of ten minutes to design and cut it. A lot longer to sand
because of it's size had to do it by hand, then I just rubbed paste wax into
it.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

"Swingman" wrote in message

Great! ... I thought I was the only one that did things like that. FWIW,
this "calculator stand", which has been laughed at by many visitors,
would
fit right in with your pen holder:

Let 'em laugh. some of the simple little projects are the most fun.

Attached Thumbnails
Pen holder-img_1019-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:38:43 -0600, "asmurff" wrote:

I agree simple is good and can be fun. My wife asked for a holder that her
nail polish bottles could be laid over so she could get to all the polish.
Took me all of ten minutes to design and cut it. A lot longer to sand
because of it's size had to do it by hand, then I just rubbed paste wax into
it.

Cute!
( I hate that word almost as much as "sale" )

I made something very much like that with 12 "ports" for my wife's woodburning
tips..

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
I agree simple is good and can be fun. My wife asked for a holder that her
nail polish bottles could be laid over so she could get to all the polish.
Took me all of ten minutes to design and cut it. A lot longer to sand
because of it's size had to do it by hand, then I just rubbed paste wax

into
it.

Next, you can surprise her with the improved version. Wider base so it can't
be tipped over and have it inserted on an angle into the base so the bottle
can't be knocked off the pedestal.

Bit Holder for Makita jim evans[_2_] UK diy 4 April 10th 08 08:30 AM
DACHSHUND CD HOLDER J T Woodworking 4 February 28th 06 02:57 PM
Anyone knows a name for a positioning holder? Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 1 October 21st 05 10:06 PM
CD Holder Strips Tina Woodworking 14 April 21st 05 04:48 PM
CHISEL HOLDER J T Woodworking 0 January 26th 05 05:12 PM