Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Made some baseboard, what do you think? (w/pic's)

Hello everyone,

You might recall me asking about historic trim a while back. I found a great
book at Lee Valley that is a reprint of a 1920's mail order house catalogue.
It has many trim samples in full scale, and I found just what I was looking
for.

I faxed a page from the book to Woodmaster Tools of Canada. They faxed me
back a CAD drawing to sign off on. I had my knives in less than a week. They
were great guys to deal with.

I made a sled for the moulder so that the stock tracked correctly.

I was worried about getting all the knives set correctly, but it wasn't that
hard. All the knives are the same height, so you bottom them out in the
cutterhead for registration.

Here is a shot of the test piece of moulding I made.

I wanted the colour of the cherry moulding to match my Jatoba staircase and
flooring. I applied a very diluted wash of Lye on the sample. The colour
change is VERY quick. I neutralized the lye with a diluted wash of vinegar
and then plain water.

I took a three foot section of the baseboard and sprayed lacquer on most of
the left hand side.

I really like the look. I didn't even try to price out 7-1/2" custom cherry
baseboard, but I expect it would be a bit more than the $3.00 a linear foot
I have into this.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Attached Thumbnails
Made some baseboard, what do you think? (w/pic's)-cbase6-jpg  Made some baseboard, what do you think? (w/pic's)-cbase1-jpg  Made some baseboard, what do you think? (w/pic's)-cbase2-jpg  Made some baseboard, what do you think? (w/pic's)-cbase3-jpg  Made some baseboard, what do you think? (w/pic's)-cbase4-jpg

Made some baseboard, what do you think? (w/pic's)-cbase5-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

Hello everyone,

.... snip

I really like the look. I didn't even try to price out 7-1/2" custom
cherry baseboard, but I expect it would be a bit more than the $3.00 a
linear foot I have into this.

Very neat. If you don't mind, how much did the custom knives cost?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hello,

Very neat. If you don't mind, how much did the custom knives cost?

With the back knives and some gibs, a couple of hundred dollars.

David.