tom

Mmmmmm, power feed... Tom

David F. Eisan

Default Gave my new Jess'Em router table a work out! *w/PIC's*

Hello everyone,

I started making 15 more doors for my parents kitchen tonight (yes, I know,
I am two years into their kitchen...). I took some of the rough maple that I
bought a few weeks ago and put a rough edge joint on them. I then ripped
sixteen ~2.75"x7' pieces on my bandsaw.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/roughrip.jpg

The three piles on the left are the strips, they will become the rails and
stiles of the doors. The piles on the right are offcuts that were under
2.75" and will be glued to larger boards for the panels in doors.Face
jointing and planing the boards to about 13/16" thickness made quite a pile
of shavings,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/planed.jpg

Just at the last minute before I left work today I remembered that I was
starting on the doors tonight and needed to put together all the parts I
needed for dust collection on my new router table. It seems strait forward
enough, but no one that I know of makes a 4" to 2x2.5" port so I had to
cobble one together with a 4" wye and two 4" to 2.5" adapters. The 2.5" hose
connected to the under table connector on the Excel table easily enough, but
in our rather large inventory of DC
accessories at work, I couldn't find anything that fit the fence port. It
either slopped around with a large amount of play or was just slightly too
large. I made a quick call to the Jess'Em sales rep and he told me it was
made for the OD of a shop vac hose, which is 2.25". He could order me the
part I needed, but I needed one tonight. I had one connector that was just a
*little* too large to fit into the fence port, so I thought I would modify
it. I mounted the plastic fitting in a four jaw chuck on a small General
International lathe and turned down the OD of the connector just enough that
it fit into the port on the fence. Here is a shot of a full DC hook up on a
Jess'Em Excel router table,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/jessemdc.jpg

With all the stock dimensioned, it was time to run my sixteen
2-7/16"x13/16x7' boards through the router table to put the stick profile on
the boards,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/running.jpg

Having the power feeder on the router table made this job a snap. Also with
just good DC, there was almost nothing on the floor and the cut was *much*
better than on my old router table. It turns out good dust collection on a
router table is very important to the quality of cut. Not recycling shaving
into the cut improves things a lot.I only got to spend about 2-1/2 hours in
the shop tonight, but I got all the rail and stile material milled. Next
time, prep stock and glue up 16 panels!

I have to wonder what the neighbors think when they look over and see,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/nightshot.jpg

With loud noises and me with big ear muffs on...

Every neighborhood has one, in mine I'm him.

David.

David F. Eisan

Hello there,

Very nice! But it looks like you still have some unused space in that
garage! Maybe a nice lathe or joiner, or maybe another drill press for
good measure?

I just recently sold one of my two lathes, one of my three jointers, one of
my two Unisaws and my old router table. Stuff just follows me home from
auctions...

David.

Router Table Connor T UK diy 3 September 8th 05 09:34 AM
Router Station in Table Saw Extension Bob Woodworking 11 August 23rd 05 01:09 AM
router table openings? CNT Woodworking 19 May 29th 05 02:17 PM
Plunge or non-plunge router better under table? LRod Woodworking 31 June 28th 04 10:23 PM
Router Table Top Questions Max Mahanke Woodworking 1 May 10th 04 07:12 PM