Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Cherry Tray

Splayed tray made of cherry with hand-cut dovetails. It was a nasty piece of
wood to work with due to knots, worm holes, wane, bark inclusions, splits,
punky areas, and other characteristics of the rough sawn board... But the
grain and figure are nice...

My motivation was that I got tired of listening to the turners in my club
talking about the "firewood" they started with and how they had to use CA to
hold it together and 25 coats of lacquer to plasticize it to keep it
together... I figured I'd try a piece of firewood too. Took about 20-22
coats of BLO and wipe-on poly and about a half dozen coats of wax to get it
to look like this. ;~)

Attached Thumbnails
Cherry Tray-cherrytray12w-jpg  Cherry Tray-cherrytray05w-jpg  Cherry Tray-cherrytray06w-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
Splayed tray made of cherry with hand-cut dovetails. It was a nasty piece
of
wood to work with due to knots, worm holes, wane, bark inclusions, splits,
punky areas, and other characteristics of the rough sawn board... But the
grain and figure are nice...

Hand cut DT on an angle. I don't even dream of stuff like that.

Nice work, but when do you fill it with cherries?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news |
| "John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
| Splayed tray made of cherry with hand-cut dovetails. It was a nasty
piece
| of
| wood to work with due to knots, worm holes, wane, bark inclusions,
splits,
| punky areas, and other characteristics of the rough sawn board... But
the
| grain and figure are nice...
|
| Hand cut DT on an angle. I don't even dream of stuff like that.
|
| Nice work, but when do you fill it with cherries?

Seems the tray will only hold dust... I made as a gift for my mother and she
refuses to put anything in it. ;~)

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

Seems the tray will only hold dust... I made as a gift for my
mother and she refuses to put anything in it. ;~)

Sometimes when I make someone something, and I supect they think that
it's just so nice they don't want to "ruin" it by actually using it, I
make them promise to actually USE it for what it was intended for.

Reminds me of something that happened years ago. A kid was asking me
what I can make out of wood. I told him I can make anything out of
wood. He asked... "Can you make a bike?"

Ok, *almost* anything ;-)

Joe Barta
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
| John Grossbohlin wrote:
|
| Seems the tray will only hold dust... I made as a gift for my
| mother and she refuses to put anything in it. ;~)
|

| Sometimes when I make someone something, and I supect they think that
| it's just so nice they don't want to "ruin" it by actually using it, I
| make them promise to actually USE it for what it was intended for.
|
| Reminds me of something that happened years ago. A kid was asking me
| what I can make out of wood. I told him I can make anything out of
| wood. He asked... "Can you make a bike?"
|
| Ok, *almost* anything ;-)
|
| Joe Barta

This didn't surprise me as my mother has the beverage tray I made in junior
high school, nearly 40 years ago, and it has NEVER been used. It sits on the
dining room hutch with her other treasures. A few weeks ago she gave me the
original mimeographed plans for the tray... she had them tucked away in the
hutch along with my grade school report cards and letters I sent from summer
camp! In these days of electronic communications and digital photos it is
unlikely that 40 years from now parents could pull things like that out for
their children...

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
Splayed tray made of cherry with hand-cut dovetails.

Beautiful tray!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I think Mom's will always preserve things for their kids. My daughter who
never did anything with crafts when she was a kid is now a mad scrapbooker
when it comes to her daughters. I myself spent one recuperation from heart
surgery scanning all the family photos so my kids could each have a set.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
| John Grossbohlin wrote:
|
| Seems the tray will only hold dust... I made as a gift for my
| mother and she refuses to put anything in it. ;~)
|

| Sometimes when I make someone something, and I supect they think that
| it's just so nice they don't want to "ruin" it by actually using it, I
| make them promise to actually USE it for what it was intended for.
|
| Reminds me of something that happened years ago. A kid was asking me
| what I can make out of wood. I told him I can make anything out of
| wood. He asked... "Can you make a bike?"
|
| Ok, *almost* anything ;-)
|
| Joe Barta

This didn't surprise me as my mother has the beverage tray I made in
junior
high school, nearly 40 years ago, and it has NEVER been used. It sits on
the
dining room hutch with her other treasures. A few weeks ago she gave me
the
original mimeographed plans for the tray... she had them tucked away in
the
hutch along with my grade school report cards and letters I sent from
summer
camp! In these days of electronic communications and digital photos it is
unlikely that 40 years from now parents could pull things like that out
for
their children...

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
| John Grossbohlin wrote:
| Splayed tray made of cherry with hand-cut dovetails.
|
| Beautiful tray!

Thanks!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in message
. ..
| John, that's really pretty.
| Whatcha gonna use it for?
|
| Kate

Thanks Kate,

It's actually a gift for my mother and intended as a centerpiece for the
dining room table... The idea is that the centerpiece would have seasonal
themes displayed in the tray, something she has done for as long as I can
remember. I've been told though that it will never have anything put in it
as that would prevent anyone from seeing it and it might get scratched!

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
remember. I've been told though that it will never have anything put in it
as that would prevent anyone from seeing it and it might get scratched!

Easy fix. Just buy a couple of handfuls of her favourite candies and leave
them in the tray.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

JeffB wrote:

Regarding wooden bicycles - you must not have looked too hard...
http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/wood-bicycles/
http://www.woodenbikecoffee.com/
http://www.designboom.com/snapshots/...ke/wooden.html
http://www.woodenbikes.com/

plus another one is entirely out of wood (but not ridable)
http://www.sdfwa.org/DIW/2000/Class07.html

and a somewhat related project
http://www.joeharmondesign.com/

Most of those bikes are made of wood like a claw hammer or a handsaw
is made of wood. Still, very interesting.

Joe Barta

Cherry Tray John Grossbohlin Woodworking 2 March 31st 08 11:30 PM
Cherry Dovetailed Tray John Grossbohlin Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 January 10th 08 02:45 AM
Need to stain cherry to dark cherry CraigT Woodworking 24 October 25th 07 02:52 AM
DVD tray The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 2 February 11th 06 11:06 PM
DVD tray Alan UK diy 1 February 11th 06 03:58 PM