Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)

Hi David,

Great job. It looks great. Next time you might want to try putting masking
tape on the board and then use the pencil. I think that would be less
cleanup of the board for you.

Dan
"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I have been working on the flooring at my house for the last few weeks and
I have come upon a very challenging section. I have a stone fire place
that needs to be floored up to. The flooring needs to be scribed to the
stone, a task in itself, but add to that that the flooring is being laid
on the diagonal.

At first I tried scribing with a compass, that didn't work. Then I tried
an expensive stainless steel fine wire profile gauge, didn't work well.
What worked the best was an inexpensive Samona plastic profile gauge. This
was because of it's "low" profile that allowed me to take a profile at the
correct position/height easily.

Even with the profile gauge, I found it was best to transfer the profile
from the profile gauge to a piece of cardboard and test fit the cardboard
template. Trimming cardboard with a pair of scissors is much easier than
running to the bandsaw in the garage with a piece of flooring. And,
cardboard is cheaper than flooring...

Once I was happy with the fit of the cardboard template I transferred the
profile to the flooring. The flooring I am using has 10 coats of finish on
it, and I cannot see a pencil line on it for the life of me. What I ended
up doing was colouring in the end of the board with an old school grease
pencil/marker, and then when I transferred the profile, the normal pencil
removed the grease pencil marking my line.

I cut the profile on my little 14" bandsaw using a 1/4" blade. I have been
meaning to get a magnetic lamp for my bandsaw, but a Makita flashlight
does a great job.

Think it will fit?

Good Enough for me!

This has been one of the hardest things I have done in a while. Twenty One
boards scribed, three more to go....

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

[...]

Attached Thumbnails
Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)-fpscribe8-jpg  Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)-fpscribe1-jpg  Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)-fpscribe2-jpg  Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)-fpscribe3-jpg  Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)-fpscribe4-jpg

Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)-fpscribe5-jpg  Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)-fpscribe6-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fpscribe7.jpg (76.6 KB, 29 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hi David,

Great job. It looks great. Next time you might want to try putting
masking tape on the board and then use the pencil. I think that would be
less cleanup of the board for you.

Ever tried cutting masking tape with a bandsaw?

The white grease pencil wipes off in just a few strokes of a paper towel.

Take care,

David.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I really hope this won't give you problems when the floor starts to move
due to changing humidity.

I think I would have cut a half inch deep groove underneath the fireplace
with an angle grinder. The floorboard then could be slipped in this groove
and have plenty of room to move. Cutting the boards would be **much**
easier as well.

What kind of wood is it, anyway? Afzelia? It sure looks a lot like my own
afzelia floor :-)

Frans

"David F. Eisan" wrote in
:

Hi David,

Great job. It looks great. Next time you might want to try putting
masking tape on the board and then use the pencil. I think that would
be less cleanup of the board for you.

Ever tried cutting masking tape with a bandsaw?

The white grease pencil wipes off in just a few strokes of a paper
towel.

Take care,

David.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:01:31 -0800, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

You da man, David..
Being lazy and not nearly at your skill level, I'd of had to use molding...
Looks a lot cleaner your way, for sure..
Well Done!

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hi david,
Tough job. My problem on a recent floor installation and on a "floating
floor" you had to leave a space between the stone hearth for expansion and
contraction. It was a very bad detail that I did not like. No way could I
trim either. I ended up using sanded grout with flexible caulking and sand
sprinkles to fill the gap.
In your case the tight fit is very nice.
jloomis
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Fransie" wrote in message
5...
I really hope this won't give you problems when the floor starts to move
due to changing humidity.

I think I would have cut a half inch deep groove underneath the fireplace
with an angle grinder. The floorboard then could be slipped in this groove
and have plenty of room to move. Cutting the boards would be **much**
easier as well.

Excellent idea as is the installed floring job.