Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Abmition vs. Skill, Scribing to stone on the diagonal (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

I have been working on the flooring at my house for the last few weeks and I
have come upon a very challenging section. I have a stone fire place that
needs to be floored up to. The flooring needs to be scribed to the stone, a
task in itself, but add to that that the flooring is being laid on the
diagonal.

At first I tried scribing with a compass, that didn't work. Then I tried an
expensive stainless steel fine wire profile gauge, didn't work well. What
worked the best was an inexpensive Samona plastic profile gauge. This was
because of it's "low" profile that allowed me to take a profile at the
correct position/height easily.

Even with the profile gauge, I found it was best to transfer the profile
from the profile gauge to a piece of cardboard and test fit the cardboard
template. Trimming cardboard with a pair of scissors is much easier than
running to the bandsaw in the garage with a piece of flooring. And,
cardboard is cheaper than flooring...

Once I was happy with the fit of the cardboard template I transferred the
profile to the flooring. The flooring I am using has 10 coats of finish on
it, and I cannot see a pencil line on it for the life of me. What I ended up
doing was colouring in the end of the board with an old school grease
pencil/marker, and then when I transferred the profile, the normal pencil
removed the grease pencil marking my line.

I cut the profile on my little 14" bandsaw using a 1/4" blade. I have been
meaning to get a magnetic lamp for my bandsaw, but a Makita flashlight does
a great job.

Think it will fit?

Good Enough for me!

This has been one of the hardest things I have done in a while. Twenty One
boards scribed, three more to go....

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fpscribe8.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2809  Click image for larger version

Name:	fpscribe1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2810  Click image for larger version

Name:	fpscribe2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2811  Click image for larger version

Name:	fpscribe3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	2812  Click image for larger version

Name:	fpscribe4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2813

Click image for larger version

Name:	fpscribe5.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	2814  Click image for larger version

Name:	fpscribe6.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	2815
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fpscribe7.jpg (76.6 KB, 29 views)