Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scribing floor tiles

Recently tiled a floor using 330 x 330mm tiles. When it came to the border
tiles I used the standard scribing technique e.g. the tile to be cut was
laid over the adjacent whole tile & marked using another whole tile.

This method works a treat & I've used it for tiles, laminate floor, deck
boards etc.

One wall was at an angle of maybe 35 - 40 degrees to the whole tiles & when
I scribed the first tile it was around 20mm too small. Next one I just
marked & compared by measuring the distances & sure enough it would have
been 20mm out.

Can't get my brain around this. How can it work on 'square' walls ( which
are always at a slight angle) but be so far out on an angled wall?

Is it the extreme angle?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Recently tiled a floor using 330 x 330mm tiles. When it came to the border
tiles I used the standard scribing technique e.g. the tile to be cut was
laid over the adjacent whole tile & marked using another whole tile.
One wall was at an angle of maybe 35 - 40 degrees to the whole tiles & when
I scribed the first tile it was around 20mm too small. Next one I just
marked & compared by measuring the distances & sure enough it would have
been 20mm out.

Can't get my brain around this. How can it work on 'square' walls ( which
are always at a slight angle) but be so far out on an angled wall?

Is it the extreme angle?

Yes. If the whole tile is lined up against the wall then its sides are
not parallel to the line of the tiling. So the distance from wall to
tile-to-be-cut is not the true distance (the hypotenuse of a triangle
rather than a right-angled side).

______________
\ | |
\ | |
\ | |
\|______|___________
| | |
| | |
| | |
------------------
| | |

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Recently tiled a floor using 330 x 330mm tiles. When it came to the border
tiles I used the standard scribing technique e.g. the tile to be cut was
laid over the adjacent whole tile & marked using another whole tile.

This method works a treat & I've used it for tiles, laminate floor, deck
boards etc.

One wall was at an angle of maybe 35 - 40 degrees to the whole tiles & when
I scribed the first tile it was around 20mm too small. Next one I just
marked & compared by measuring the distances & sure enough it would have
been 20mm out.

Can't get my brain around this. How can it work on 'square' walls ( which
are always at a slight angle) but be so far out on an angled wall?

Is it the extreme angle?

I'm ashamed to say I've never got my head round that method at all. I've
been shown it several times, but I obviously have some kind of mental
block about it. ISTR going through a phase of marking the tile upside
down and then transferring the marks to the face but, in the end, I find
it quicker to just measure the 2 distances.