Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default hinges.

Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is 3/8".
I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other ways
to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be great. I
remain

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Donald Weber laid this down on his screen :
Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is 3/8". I
am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other ways to
hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be great. I
remain

Hi Donald.
Have you drilled pilot holes for the screws? A smallish hole about half
the size of the fattest part of the screw drilled 3/4s of the depth of
the screw makes screwing a lot easier. I always use a battery powered
screw driver too and that makes life a lot easier too.
HTH
Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default hinges. - 1 attachment

"Donald Weber" wrote in

Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is
3/8". I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is
there other ways to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any
remarks would be great. I remain

You can make "pin" hinges, where the sides come up level with the top and
pins or rods go through the sides into the edges of the top. This is
probably the simplest/easiest/cheapest way to hinge a top. see picture
below.

Two other "simple" ways are miniature barrel hinges such as:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3267

and barbed hinges:http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3744

Both require careful drilling of holes, but you can use a drill press and
some simple fixtures to make this dead easy and spot on every time.

Attached Thumbnails
hinges.-hinge-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hello Donald,
Glue on nylon or fabric hinge. Epoxy on (small brass hinges.......)
just a thought.
jloomis
"Donald Weber" wrote in message
Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is 3/8".
I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other
ways to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be
great. I remain

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 01:22:19 GMT, "Donald Weber" wrote:

Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is 3/8".
I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other ways
to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be great. I
remain

If you can drill a hole, these will work great, if the stock is think enough...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3267

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in
:

Hello Donald,
Glue on nylon or fabric hinge.

Or glue on leather hinges. I seem to recall that leather was a traditional
material for primitive construction for everything from storage lockers to
doors.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is

3/8".
I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other

ways
to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be great.

remain

You remain what?

B.

This explains the salutation

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/pe/address4_e.cfm

Mekon

Ummmm... I know about the salutation, he just didn't complete it.

B.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Donald Weber wrote:
Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is 3/8".
I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other ways
to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be great. I
remain

I've had good success using slot or barbed hinges in small boxes. You
have to cut a very narrow slot (1/32") and then the hinge is inserted to
the slot and held by the barbs. You can cut the slots on a router or
router table with the correct blade?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I have used a strip of leather as a hinge. It can be quite
striking. Go to the local thrift store and look through the
ladies belts for interesting finishes and colors.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the
back is 3/8". I am old and its very hard to put screws in the
hinges. is there other ways to hinge a wooden box that I dont
know of. Any remarks would be great. I remain

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:47:11 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz"
wrote:

Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is

3/8".
I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other

ways to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be great.
I remain

You remain what?

B.

This explains the salutation

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/pe/address4_e.cfm

Mekon

Ummmm... I know about the salutation, he just didn't complete it.

B.

He just wasn't sure of your title..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Buddy Matlosz brought next idea :
. ..
Hi, I am making wood boxes. sides and front is 1/4" and the back is 3/8".
I am old and its very hard to put screws in the hinges. is there other
ways to hinge a wooden box that I dont know of. Any remarks would be
great. I remain

You remain what?

B.

This explains the salutation

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/pe/address4_e.cfm

Mekon

Ummmm... I know about the salutation, he just didn't complete it.

B.

OIC, I have a vague memory of an English teacher saying that the
parting salutation is often abbreviated like that albeit with an
elipsis. She was probably wrong as I haven't seen it often since then.

Mekon

Hinges edee em Home Repair 3 July 18th 07 01:55 PM
hinges Tim Taylor Woodworking 1 June 27th 06 05:28 PM
FS: NOS hinges Bob Schmall Woodworking 2 January 9th 06 02:47 PM
Hinges...SSS, PSS, EB?? r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 6 September 11th 05 01:04 PM
"Pop off" Hinges Anthony Bowles UK diy 3 April 9th 05 10:43 PM