Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default For Kate and other carvers; think about signatures!

I gave away a few pieces early in my carving life without thinking about
signing my work. Eventually I designed my own celtic knot to use as a
signature. It ends up somewhere on everything I carve. In the case of
the attached picture it was part of the design itself. (Not a great pic
but you get the idea).

Attached Thumbnails
For Kate and other carvers; think about signatures!-shaun-plaque3-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Chris Damico wrote in
:

I gave away a few pieces early in my carving life without thinking about
signing my work. Eventually I designed my own celtic knot to use as a
signature. It ends up somewhere on everything I carve. In the case of
the attached picture it was part of the design itself. (Not a great pic
but you get the idea).

To ad a signature to stuff I make, I found some thin but tough paper. I
laser printed a series of logos on it in very small font (4 or 6 point).
I cut out all the small logos, leaving a small border and put them away in
an Altoids tin. When I need to put a logo on, I paint a dab of clear
polyurathane sealer down, press the logo into it, then paint more poly over
the logo. The paper turns transparent and only the logo remains. You can
design logos using a draw/paint program, scan a design in, or just draw
something and use a copier to shrink it down and make multiple copies on a
single page.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:38:24 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

Chris Damico wrote in
:

[...]

The toner doesn't dissolve or blur when you put the poly on it? cool..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

----
Laser toner doesn't dissolve, Ink Jet will.
I'd like more information on the type of paper, please

I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker. I bought a little
CHEAPO burining iron, thanks to Charlie for the inspiration, and was
planning to use it to put my name on them. I like the laser idea though. I
have a logo that I designed some time ago that I still use here and there.

Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:31:50 -0500, "Kate"
wrote:

I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker.

LOL! Please tell me that's a type. :-)

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

The toner doesn't dissolve or blur when you put the poly on it? cool..

It never has yet. My understanding is that toner is made from a tiny
"grain" of iron oxide surrounded by polystyrene. The iron oxide is what
gives black toner its color, the polystyrene the fusability. I've tried
the same thing with logos written in what were supposed to be stable inks
and they *did* run under poly.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in
:

Laser toner doesn't dissolve, Ink Jet will.
I'd like more information on the type of paper, please

I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker. I bought a little
CHEAPO burining iron, thanks to Charlie for the inspiration, and was
planning to use it to put my name on them. I like the laser idea
though. I have a logo that I designed some time ago that I still use
here and there.

Kate

Experiment. I went to a local print shop and tried several pieces on some
scrap. Paper is cheap, and you can print upwards of 100 logos on an 8
1/2X11 sheet of paper. One other interesting thing about xerox/laser
printing is that you can transfer the image from the paper to another
surface with heat. Electronics entheusists have made circuit boards this
way for a long time. Come to think of it, this could be used for almost
any masking/etching project.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Tim Douglass" wrote

wrote:

I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker.

LOL! Please tell me that's a type. :-)

Maybe Kate has taken up tattooing as well????

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:
I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker.

LOL! Please tell me that's a type. :-)

Well, at least she didn't use the burning irno :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker.

LOL! Please tell me that's a type. :-)

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Ya beat me to it, Tim.. rofl
Might be an interesting picture, though...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker.

LOL! Please tell me that's a type. :-)

Typo - typo - typo - typo - i.e. typographical error.

Sheesh!

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

ROFLMAO...
yup, sure is....

gawd.... *blush*

Kate

wrote:

I just signed Kristen's bod with a permanent marker.

LOL! Please tell me that's a type. :-)

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I've been thinking of trying it for pattern transfering.
Just have not gotten to it yet.
I have a good laser printer, and an old iron. Ya never know.

When I give it a go, I'll let you know.

Kate

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
"Kate" wrote in
:

[...]

For Kate - relief carving in cherry - IMG_5164b.jpg Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 22 November 4th 07 09:28 PM
Northern Virginia Carvers 27th Annual Woodcarving Show [email protected] Woodworking 0 September 3rd 05 02:01 AM
CARVERS MALLET J T Woodworking 0 December 25th 04 01:16 AM
High speed carvers? Lewis Dodd Woodturning 2 April 24th 04 02:34 PM