Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Veneer Projects

I have been wanting to try my hand at veneering, and finally took the
plunge. I got a hold of some 1/42 raw veneer in santos rosewood and
bubinga, and here are the results. I made a few mistakes, but learned a
bit in the process.

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/rosewoodcab.htm

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/bubingabox.htm
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
I have been wanting to try my hand at veneering, and finally took the
plunge. I got a hold of some 1/42 raw veneer in santos rosewood and
bubinga, and here are the results. I made a few mistakes, but learned a bit
in the process.

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/rosewoodcab.htm

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/bubingabox.htm

Those look great Charlie. I suppose you meant to have the lid strips come
out off set on the second box, or you did not have enough material to re-do.
;~) Either way they look good.
I am just getting into veneering myself and have learned that if you veneer
over a corner box joint the box joint is going to telegraph through.
Something to think about if you ever use a stronger corner joint. Or, have
you done this and perhaps have a solution?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
I have been wanting to try my hand at veneering, and finally took the
plunge. I got a hold of some 1/42 raw veneer in santos rosewood and
bubinga, and here are the results. I made a few mistakes, but learned a bit
in the process.

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/rosewoodcab.htm

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/bubingabox.htm

Those look great Charlie. I suppose you meant to have the lid strips come
out off set on the second box, or you did not have enough material to re-do.
;~) Either way they look good.
I am just getting into veneering myself and have learned that if you veneer
over a corner box joint the box joint is going to telegraph through.
Something to think about if you ever use a stronger corner joint. Or, have
you done this and perhaps have a solution?

Leon, I actually made a conscious decision to not have the inlay meet
up, because I was using what I had around the shop and there was not
enough of a single pattern to go all the way around. So I thought rather
than have two different patterns meet, I would offset them. After I did
it, I realized it had the effect of looking like an accident. :-)

As for the corners, since I knew I was covering the joints anyway, I
used simple butt joints reinforced with countersunk screws. I filled
over the screw heads, and sanded everything out smooth before applying
the veneer. Semed to work fine..
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote

As for the corners, since I knew I was covering the joints anyway, I
used simple butt joints reinforced with countersunk screws. I filled
over the screw heads, and sanded everything out smooth before applying
the veneer. Semed to work fine..

They're both good looking pieces of work! Need to make another one with a
real wood top and get Kate to carve it for you.

Did you use a veneer press?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/20/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote

As for the corners, since I knew I was covering the joints anyway, I
used simple butt joints reinforced with countersunk screws. I filled
over the screw heads, and sanded everything out smooth before applying
the veneer. Semed to work fine..

They're both good looking pieces of work! Need to make another one with a
real wood top and get Kate to carve it for you.

Did you use a veneer press?

Haven't got a veneer press yet, though it's on my wish list. I used the
Titebond cold press veneer glue, and clamped between boards.

That's a good idea about getting Kate to carve me a top. Maybe I can get
some of her work while she's still cheap, before she gets all
rich-and-famous-snooty-artist on us. :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote

Haven't got a veneer press yet, though it's on my wish list. I used the
Titebond cold press veneer glue, and clamped between boards.

Veneering is something I _really_ want to get into, but I don't need another
"slippery slope" in my life right now.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/20/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote

Haven't got a veneer press yet, though it's on my wish list. I used the
Titebond cold press veneer glue, and clamped between boards.

Veneering is something I _really_ want to get into, but I don't need another
"slippery slope" in my life right now.

I hear you. I feel the same way about turning. I really love the idea of
getting into it, but space, money, and time are all in short supply (not
to mention SWMBO's patience).
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

ROY! wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:48:12 -0500, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote:

That's a good idea about getting Kate to carve me a top. Maybe I can get
some of her work while she's still cheap, before she gets all
rich-and-famous-snooty-artist on us. :-)

Is there anything you'd like to re-phrase in the above paragraph? ;-)

Double entendre purely intentional. Just to see if she was paying
attention. ;-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in
:

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/bubingabox.htm

*WOW*!

Hard to believe that that's not solid wood!

My 7th grade math teacher had a saying written on the board that said (in
latin) "We learn by doing". That certainly applies to wood working.

Do more! (and post it!)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

I have been wanting to try my hand at veneering, and finally took the
plunge. I got a hold of some 1/42 raw veneer in santos rosewood and
bubinga, and here are the results. I made a few mistakes, but learned a
bit in the process.

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/rosewoodcab.htm

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/bubingabox.htm

Wow. Can't imagine what your projects look like after you stop making
mistakes. :-) Very nice.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

I have been wanting to try my hand at veneering, and finally took the
plunge. I got a hold of some 1/42 raw veneer in santos rosewood and
bubinga, and here are the results. I made a few mistakes, but learned a
bit in the process.

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/rosewoodcab.htm

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/bubingabox.htm

Wow. Can't imagine what your projects look like after you stop making
mistakes. :-) Very nice.

Thanks. But here is a hint: That whole decorative trim gizmo on top of
the rosewood cabinet was an afterthought to disguise some "learning
opportunities". :-)