Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Winery Sign

A friend at work gave me some 30 year old walnut that he had in his
basement. He left our company to start a winery; bought the land with a
farmhouse and barn. I thought I'd take a little bit of the walnut and
make a sign for his winery. This is what I came up with.

Attached Thumbnails
Winery Sign-falls4-jpg  Winery Sign-falls3-jpg  Winery Sign-falls1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Chris Damico" wrote in message
A friend at work gave me some 30 year old walnut that he had in his
basement. He left our company to start a winery; bought the land with a
farmhouse and barn. I thought I'd take a little bit of the walnut and
make a sign for his winery. This is what I came up with.

Looks nice. Is that a pheasant?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Chris Damico" wrote in message

A friend at work gave me some 30 year old walnut that he had in his
basement. He left our company to start a winery; bought the land with a
farmhouse and barn. I thought I'd take a little bit of the walnut and
make a sign for his winery. This is what I came up with.

Looks nice. Is that a pheasant?

It's at least what Google showed as a pheasant! I'm not a hunter so I
just took their word for it.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Chris Damico" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:

Looks nice. Is that a pheasant?

It's at least what Google showed as a pheasant! I'm not a hunter so I just
took their word for it.

It looks like a pheasant profile. We used to have them around the farm all
the time when growing up. The tail feathers are quite colorful.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Sat 08 Sep 2007 03:45:16p, Chris Damico wrote in
:

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Chris Damico" wrote in message

Looks nice. Is that a pheasant?

It's at least what Google showed as a pheasant! I'm not a hunter so I
just took their word for it.

We had them running around the backyard when we lived in central Wisconsin.
That's a pheasant rooster all right. :-) And that's a beautiful piece of
work, Chris.

Is that all hand chisel work? Any power tools? What's the finish? How long
did it take? Is that two boards joined together? What's the dimensions?

Oh, sorry. Was that out loud? :-)

Dan

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Dan wrote:
We had them running around the backyard when we lived in central Wisconsin.
That's a pheasant rooster all right. :-) And that's a beautiful piece of
work, Chris.

Thanks Dan. The guy I gave it to really liked it, too.

Is that all hand chisel work? Any power tools? What's the finish? How long
did it take? Is that two boards joined together? What's the dimensions?

All of the larger relief is hand chisel work. I remove bulk with a
router. I also used a dremel for the "scratch detail" on the pheasant
and along the edge. The finish is 2 coats of Minwax poly and 2 coats of
wax. It took about a week start to finish. Yes, it is 2 boards joined
and it ended up about 20" tall and 24" wide.