Jeff Wisnia

Default OT - Sad Sign

This appeared a couple of blocks from our office on a narrow, downhil,
treelined, and curving road in Burlington, Massachusetts, with a 20 mph
speed limit:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/rip_mustang.jpg

But, it's a lot better than seeing the roadside homemade crosses with
artificial flowers on them we too often encounter on our New England roads.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Lane

But, it's a lot better than seeing the roadside homemade crosses with
artificial flowers on them we too often encounter on our New England
roads.

Happy Holidays,
Jeff

Jeff, New England roads aren't the only place those homemade crosses show
up. I see them all the time. It's amazing how long they can hang around.
There is one about 2 miles from my house that is there a year after the
incident.

Merry Christmas, ( I know it's not PC, but I don't care!)
Lane

Gunner

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:14:16 -0800, "Lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote:

But, it's a lot better than seeing the roadside homemade crosses with
artificial flowers on them we too often encounter on our New England
roads.

Happy Holidays,
Jeff

Jeff, New England roads aren't the only place those homemade crosses show
up. I see them all the time. It's amazing how long they can hang around.
There is one about 2 miles from my house that is there a year after the
incident.

Merry Christmas, ( I know it's not PC, but I don't care!)
Lane

Here in California, they are quite carefully tended by friends,
survivors or prisoner work crews. The several belonging to various
deceased friends of mine are at least 5 yrs old and have become
permanent fixtures, one is made out of stainless steel by the welders
he worked with, and the bit of land off the right of way was donated
by the land owner so its concreted in, etc etc

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 05:35:18 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

[...]

Just think, if this catches on too well, there will be little f***ing
crosses/pictures/bows all over the place, lining every roadway,
littering every field, sidewalk, alley, creek, lake, treetop, and
rooftop denoting wherever and whenever -anything- died.

I'm with Jeff on not liking them. These things are eyesores and their
perps should be prosecuted for littering. If they want to memorialize
someone, they should do it in the proper place (a graveyard or their
own home) not in public.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen

Gunner

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:23:37 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Just think, if this catches on too well, there will be little f***ing
crosses/pictures/bows all over the place, lining every roadway,
littering every field, sidewalk, alley, creek, lake, treetop, and
rooftop denoting wherever and whenever -anything- died.

Anything died? They are there to demonstrate where a human being
died. It is a grim reminder to be more careful, and that death in or
by motor vehicle is not something that "doesnt happen around here"

I'm with Jeff on not liking them. These things are eyesores and their
perps should be prosecuted for littering. If they want to memorialize
someone, they should do it in the proper place (a graveyard or their
own home) not in public.

Your opinion is noted. On my part..whenever I see one, I tend to tip
my hat, and drive a bit more carefully.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio

Jeff Wisnia

Larry Jaques wrote:

Just think, if this catches on too well, there will be little f***ing
crosses/pictures/bows all over the place, lining every roadway,
littering every field, sidewalk, alley, creek, lake, treetop, and
rooftop denoting wherever and whenever -anything- died.

I'm with Jeff on not liking them. These things are eyesores and their
perps should be prosecuted for littering. If they want to memorialize
someone, they should do it in the proper place (a graveyard or their
own home) not in public.

Well, the reason I thought that "R.I.P. Mustang" sign was better than
the crosses was because you can get another car, but not so easily get a
new brother or dad. I tend to get "ferklempt" (maudlin) when I see those
crosses, it's a dose of reality staring me in the face.

However, IIRC there was legislation passed here in Taxachusetts a few
years ago which said that roadside crosses would be permitted to remain
in place for only a short time before being yanked out by state highway
crews.

The reasoning seemed sound to me. They were afraid that people would be
distracted by trying to get a good view of them while driving by, to see
if they could read a name or something, and more road accidents would
ensue because of that. The crosses are usually a lot smaller and harder
to read than billboards 'yknow, and even billboards are largely not
permitted on the rural highways here.

Happy Holidays guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:51:43 GMT, Ron Moore
calmly ranted:

Speaking of sad signs of the times.

Yeah, these cross placers don't have any respect for anyone's
property and want to push their religious beliefs on others.
They concern themselves with death, not life. It's very sad.

Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Respectfully,
LJ

Larry Jaques wrote:

Just think, if this catches on too well, there will be little f***ing
crosses/pictures/bows all over the place, lining every roadway,
littering every field, sidewalk, alley, creek, lake, treetop, and
rooftop denoting wherever and whenever -anything- died.

I'm with Jeff on not liking them. These things are eyesores and their
perps should be prosecuted for littering. If they want to memorialize
someone, they should do it in the proper place (a graveyard or their
own home) not in public.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

Martin H. Eastburn

What was effective as traffic control were Maltese crosses painted
on the highway for every death.

The road was a state road to White Sands M.R. - 100 miles of 2 lane
over the tops and bottoms of sand dunes. The rate of head on was
over the limit. It was also a single road through sand so one
way in and out - and no emergency from White Sands.

You didn't want to leave your car (break down) on the side of the
road long, - the sand storms would polish down to bare metal.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Jeff Wisnia

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

What was effective as traffic control were Maltese crosses painted
on the highway for every death.

The road was a state road to White Sands M.R. - 100 miles of 2 lane
over the tops and bottoms of sand dunes. The rate of head on was
over the limit. It was also a single road through sand so one
way in and out - and no emergency from White Sands.

You didn't want to leave your car (break down) on the side of the
road long, - the sand storms would polish down to bare metal.

Martin

To say nothing of what it did to the car's window glass...

Jeff (Been there done that, used to fly science payloads on Aerobee
rockets from Holloman AFB - many fun evening trips to Juarez, Mexico
remembered too.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

ADT Yard sign dh Home Repair 25 November 25th 04 08:28 AM
Highway Sign control by Digital Sign Plexaglass Electronics Repair 0 November 23rd 04 07:04 PM