Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default - P1000294.jpg (0/1) Laminated plywood workbench base

Laminated plywood workbench base

with influence from Fine Woodworking #181 and Bob C

Small medium and full size Pictures http://preview.tinyurl.com/ynrxl6
or
http://meekings.selfip.com/photo-gro..._2007/Workbenc
h_Summer_2007/index.html

One of the aims of this bench is to be massive when assembled but able
to be knocked down and moved by one person. This is looking good at
this point, the heaviest pieces are the ends at 12.5 kg and at this
point it is about 50 kg (US 110 lbs) when I get a permanent top for it
and cupboards under loaded with tools, I expect it will reach 150 kg

With too few clamps an average temp of 29C and humidity about 80% plus
and having to squat on the floor to use a circular saw to rip the ply.
The bench base took about 9 days to make.

I looked at various ways to make the mortices for the tenons and found
that cling-film made the perfect covering for the spacer blocks

Studding (US all-thread?) is unobtainable without a lot of effort (and
a 120 km drive), so I made do with 200 mm carriage bolts (10 Baht
each). As the bolt heads would have too small a bearing surface in wood
and would just pull through when tightened. I got some 38 mm wide steel
strip, drilled a hole a little oversize for the shank, then used a big
hammer to partly seat the square under the head to prevent the bolt
spinning when tightened.

This meant that the bolts had to be captive. So as the horizontals were
laminated from 5 strips of 20 mm ply I could cut into two of them to
shape the hole. this was left open at one side to allow the bolt to be
pushed home. The cutouts were designed to be slightly oversized to
avoid binding, this has also meant that the workbench horizontals can
float a little so the location of the bolt holes in the end pieces is
not critical. I am thinking of using unglued dominos as locating pins
to make assembly easier

The end pieces have 8 mm screwed inserts to allow feet to adjust for
uneven floors

the bottom horizontals have a slimmer 5th section (size governed by the
spare cutoff I had) this for the moment is used for a shelf but will be
used to locate and locked-in lockable cupboards, they will be removable
if the ends are unbolted but not just lift out. I am not sure yet if
they will be full hight, a reason to make them a little under full
hight would be for wood dust removal.

Future work
Dominos to locate the horizontals
Foot pads to go under the metal leveling screw feet
Locked-in locking cupboards at least 2, this will make them about 60 cm
wide
Bench top. I have the ply and MDF cut to a rough size for one but am
also thinking of making a second torsion box one.

Costs so far
20 mm ply sheets 2 @ 730 Baht
200 mm carriage bolts 8 @10 Baht
steel strips 8 @ 5 Baht
20 mm MDF 1 @ 630 Baht
screwed inserts 4 @ 105 Yen
screwed feet 4 @ 150 Yen
Polyurethane 250 ml 250 Baht

2775 Baht
$81.64
£40.82
¥9,572

1 USD =34 Baht
1 GBP =68 Baht
1 EUR =46 Baht
100 JPY =29 Baht

--
Jerome Meekings
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default - P1000300.jpg (0/1) Laminated plywood workbench base - Missing pic

small Pictures in abpw full size http://preview.tinyurl.com/ynrxl6

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Attached Thumbnails
- P1000294.jpg (0/1) Laminated plywood workbench base-p1000300-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Unique approach to building the workbench! Nice job.

Just a bit of concern on the photo flattening the support surfaces: that
loose open shirt is begging to be grabbed by your planer. Keep safe!

Lance

"SCUBA Bookreader" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Fantastic!!! Could not have done better myself.

Looks like there'll be no more working on the floor.

Congratulations

Bob C

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article , Lance
wrote:
Unique approach to building the workbench! Nice job.

Thanks. I had fun designing it and borrowing ideas from other designs.
Bob C supplied the double mortices and fine woodworking the ply idea.
but the coach bolt was 100% mine. Because I had no other easily
available fittings and needed to make it able to be taken apart

Just a bit of concern on the photo flattening the support surfaces: that
loose open shirt is begging to be grabbed by your planer. Keep safe!

Thanks that one was posed, the plainer was switched of. it was a vain
attempt to hide or at least minimize my belly ;-)

With the humidity in the 80s and the temp around 30 C most of the work
was done in shorts and flipflpfs only as you can see in some of the
other pics,

--
Jerome Meekings
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article , Bob C
wrote:

Fantastic!!! Could not have done better myself.

Thanks, but I think you did :-)

Looks like there'll be no more working on the floor.

That was the main idea for the next 4 years or so.

I am having fun planning my real workshop that is going to be built
into our house that will be built on to the raised base (28m by 23m the
house will be smaller though) you can see in the background in
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2jl8tf
and http://preview.tinyurl.com/34tos6

Congratulations

Appreciated