Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Ping: Charlie re-crib pegs

I am SO sorry for starting this and then getting high centered.
We've had company for a couple of weeks and they've just left, life can
return to normal... until the 6th, then another visitor.

About those crib pegs...
I started with stock that was about 3" long and 3/8" square.
I used my pocket knife to carve a round end, roughly 5/8" long that would
fit into the collet (mounted on a flex shaft) of my Foredom - like a dremel,
but much better, generally used for jewelry.
http://www.blackstoneind.com/foundations/store/home.asp
I have a pretty good Dremel, but I am not too crazy about it, but it does
have it's uses. Where a Foredom is not portable, a Dremel is.

When I made the pegs, after carving the bottom so it would fit into the
chuck I'd clamp them in and then use sandpaper to get them into round,
flipping them end to end to get them relatively even - fighting wobble and
cussing allot LOL.
After I got them so they were a cylinder then I would begin to shape the
tip, then carve the tops using the "customized" Xacto knife, a nice sharp
1/4" wood chisel and sandpaper.
The knobs on top were not that hard. I did them last so that when they were
all finished I could carve them so the piece holding them was a wee little
thin sliver and then polish them with steel wool and wax. Then I'd just cut
them loose with my jeweler's saw and polish the tippity top by hand.

I guess if a person doesn't know something is impossible, they don't know
they can't do it.

You asked for the sizes of the finished pegs and here is what I have.
The finished pegs a Well... have a look at the photo.

Again, sorry I got lost out here in the real world.

One more last note. I got a Rockler's catalog a week or so ago, they have a
mini lathe in it for under $200.
I may just have to save up for it. I'd been saving for a winch for my Jeep,
but the folks that came to visit - of all things my ex husband and his
wife - good friends, long story. He has a Warn 10 or 12,000 lb winch, he is
sending me so I will likely use my winch money for a small lathe.

Unless of course, I run across a great deal on a Carr light bar or a
snorkel. A girl has to have her priorities ya know!

I'll email you personally on this too Charlie.. thanks! I am really excited
about the pegs you're building, I just hate that they will make my little
pegs look so bad they will get tucked into a box and never be seen again.

--
Kate
______

The shortest distance between two points,
can be a lot more fun in a Jeep!

Attached Thumbnails
Ping: Charlie re-crib pegs-pegs-jpg