Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default The Next Off The Wall Project - Literally

Book review included at no extra cost - void where prohibited
by law)

Stopped in at Barnes & Noble with every intent of ONLY getting
a woodworking magazine - or two. But since I was in the store
.. . . why not stop by the woodworking section - just for a look.
BIG mistake from my checking account's perspective - great
idea because I saw a wonderful book of inspirations (and yet
another lesson in humility) titled "The Penland Book of Woodworking
- Master Classes in Woodworking Techniques" by Lark Books, a
Divison of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc -
ISBN -13: 978-1-57990-768-6
and, for some unknown reason
ISBN -10: 1-57990-768-7
list price of $34.95 US, $45.95 CAN

I'd never heard of the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina
and only recognized one of the ten teachers whose works are
in the book - Jere Osgood. The others are
Craig Nutt - you've seen his stuff - a table with carrots for legs
Paul Sasso - start with making a piece in wood then paints it
and I'm not talking Tol Painting
Michael Puryear - this guy does things with ply and veneer that
will knock your socks off - lots of curves
Curtis Buchanan - Windsor chair as a starting point then goes
off from there
Doug Sigler - lots of curves, laminated pieces mainly. Works
at furniture scale as well as architectural scale
Brent Skidmore - it's a bunch or rocks! hey - it's wood - now what
the hell is THAT!? This guy would have loved
it if he were born 30 years earlier - he
would
have loved LSD.
Jenna Goldberg - if you like decorated pieces - not froo froo stuff
but really interesting stuff you should check
out
her work - painting and carving
John Clark - inlaying and veneering are hall marks of this man's
work.
Kurt Nielsen - amazing carving integrated into his work

The book also includes a gallery of other significant woodworkers
Tge Frid, Bill Brown, Wendell Castle, John Dodd, Mies Van der Rohe,
Marcel Bruer, Bill Keyser, and Bob Leverich - one or two I'd actually
heard of.

On page 108 of this 224 page hardbound color photos book there
was a piece that got me to buy the book - Wall Niche by John Dood.
It's an odd piece - 80" tall, 12" wide and 13" deep - if you include the
shelf that stick out in from of the coopered main part of the piece.
I have a need for just such a piece, though mine will be a little
paners and wont have a circular metal - or it could be glass - shelf.

I've done a little bit of coopering and was surprised at how easy
it is - IF you do the coopered part first then fit anything around
it to it.

Scaled drawing (at 1" = 8" cause that would fit on 8 1/2 x 11)
color rendering done in PhotoShop.

charlie b