Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Philips TV on the blink.............. Literally

Hi guys,
I am in UK
Has anyone come across this problem and found a remedy?
We have a Philips 32" widescreen TV (W76ERF001X013) with virtual dolby
surround sound.
Up until yesterday, we have had no complaints with it since the day we
got it. Then, without warning, it went crazy. The screen went black for
about 2 seconds and then the programme came back on. The screen showed
all the details it normally does when the TV is first started, ie, prog
number, screen size, dolby and programme (bbc1, bbc2 etc).
This is repeated every 10 seconds or so.
To whittle the problem down to being the TV itself and not Sky or the
DVD stuff, I have unplugged everything except the power lead and the TV
airiel (terrestrial channels only)
Any clues?
Cheers,
steve

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Steve wrote:
[...]

many of the later philips sets have problems with the microproc.
they tend to jam onto an AV channel input. best get it to a tech before
it gets worse. there's very little yuou can do if you lack the
experience of tv repair, not to mention safety hazards.
..en

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I work in a hotel and we recently installed Phillips 27" flat screen TV's
failure rate is abt 5% on 85 sets most problems are the same as you are
seeing. Most did not last two days. Warranty repair shop guessed the problem
before I even told him what it was. Screen goe snowy, comes back good then
turns black and white etc etc etc. Tv's prior to these were the same brand
and we averaged 2 a week after 7 years with abt the same issue but probably
different parts going bad.
"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I also have a Philips 32 LCD television. My screen has gone completely
black (two weeks after the warranty expired). If you are within your
warranty period, get it to a Philips repair center.

Video of my model (32PF7320A) on youtube.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAW7B...elated&search=
Problem seems to plague nearly all philips models that are able to have
firmware upgrades. Commonly known as the Philips Black Screen of Death,
many report the replacement of the small signal board solves the
problem. Philips customer service told me that I should find out how
much they are going to charge for this repair to see if it is "worth
it." I have owned the unit for 90 days and two weeks. (It was purchased
"factory renewed" from the philips website. There have been three
firmware updates, secured at the philips website, in the three months I
owned the set. The last upgrade, designed to solve the "intermittent
video problem" was installed a couple of days before my display popped
its last pixel. Philips CS representative said the good news was that I
could take it anywhere to fix it because it was out of warranty. Bad
news, I have to pay for it.

Good luck and cherrio.
Terrie