Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
George

Default Wheels

I've been tasked to make wheels for a Cinderella-type pumpkin coach which is
to receive gift cards at my daughter's wedding (no 3520 in my near future!).
I had the idea to turn a piece round, then, using the index, rest and boring
guide, bore through-and-through, assuring alignment of the spokes for rim
and hub. Didn't work well at all, as the bit followed the grain, resulting
in a visible misalignment.

Anyone out there build spoked wheels short of the way they used to, by
boring the felloes and hub on the press, then gluing up? I'm under sixty
days to the wedding, so I do have some experiment time before I have to
settle for solid. If only the bills could all be paid within the same time
frame....