George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George" (clip) I had the idea to turn a piece round, then, using the

rest and boring guide, bore through-and-through, assuring alignment of the
spokes for rim and hub. Didn't work well at all, as the bit followed the
grain, resulting in a visible misalignment. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I understand you right, you are trying to make disk wheels, with round
bored holes through the web, to create "spokes." I can picture these,
perhaps painted in a bright red, with fancy pin-striping, kind of like a
circus wagon. Very attractive.

No, I was boring through the disk from the edge, after which I separated
first the rim with perforations ready for the spokes, then turned down to,
and parted off the hub, also perforated. The wood was cherry, which isn't
too hard, but six inch holes at 3/16 don't seem possible without travel.

Second attempt was solids and the scrollsaw, but you pretty much have to
leave the spokes broad going across the grain, so not too pretty. Looks
like the thing should be rigged as a drozhky, with a troika up front, or
something like the tumbrel that took Marie Antoinette to the Guillotine.
Come to think of it, maybe Craig would get the humor....

Plan "C" goes to cross-laminated disk and scrollsaw, reserving as "D"
jigging the drillpress and standard wheelwright technique in miniature