Michael Lehmann

Default Warping

I had some bowl blanks in a moderately hard straight grained timber that
split (as they do). I then cut down the splits with chainsaw and cut the
bits up into spindle blanks.
They are still green. And as the splits (Hence the cuts)were radial should I
expect much warping or splitting in the spindles? Or should I wait until dry
to make a pepper grinder?
(If I bore the hole and it warps the mechanism wont fit etc).
Cheers
Mick

George

"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message
I had some bowl blanks in a moderately hard straight grained timber that
split (as they do). I then cut down the splits with chainsaw and cut the
bits up into spindle blanks.
They are still green. And as the splits (Hence the cuts)were radial should

expect much warping or splitting in the spindles? Or should I wait until

dry
to make a pepper grinder?
(If I bore the hole and it warps the mechanism wont fit etc).
Cheers
Mick

You will get some deformation if the wood has not fully equalized with its
environment. Smart money runs the blanks circular but oversize, leaving
good center marks for re-referencing. Coat the ends to keep them from
checking, weigh, mark, and turn after they stop losing weight.

Take a peek at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm chapter
three has good information (picture) on what to expect a piece from a place
to look like after it's cured. Mostly US timber covered in the shrinkage
data, but also has some figures for others.

George, thank you very much for that link. Very informative.

Preventing table leaf warping Rebel Woodworking 0 January 14th 05 03:50 AM
Metal (woodcore) door warping question... Blake Patterson Home Repair 3 October 17th 04 07:18 AM
Question about plywood and warping... myoung Woodworking 13 May 28th 04 08:01 PM
wood warping: help Ross Woodworking 7 December 4th 03 11:17 AM
Warping when Hardening and Tempering RWL Metalworking 12 October 22nd 03 03:53 AM