Richard

Default Wivamac lathes

Having decided to go for an upgrade in my lathe, I am very tempted by the
Wivamac range which were highly recommended in Woodturning a few months ago.
Anyone got any experience?

Thanks

George

"Richard" wrote in message
Having decided to go for an upgrade in my lathe, I am very tempted by the
Wivamac range which were highly recommended in Woodturning a few months

ago.
Anyone got any experience?

No experience, but looks like it incorporates all the things which the
latest generation of lathes have. I'm particularly fond of the spindle
running between bearings rather than cantilevered, as well as the ability to
move the headstock to the end of the bed for final shaving and sanding
interiors of big stuff.

2100 pounds seems pricey for a lathe which compares almost feature for
feature with the Powermatic 3520 available here, though.
Hopefully that's with VAT.

Richard,

This isn't the official announcement, but I could not let your question
pass without sharing my excitement. I've been working through the
details with Mr. Willy Vanhoutte about being an agent to sell and
service wivamac lathes in North America. We will finalize our agreement
in the next few weeks. I will launch the product with a website and
begin a marketing campaign to educate the North American market on the
BMW of lathes (if you'll parden my hyperbole).

I'm really impressed with the product and I think it has the features
and quality of the best lathes on the market today.

I would certainly like to talk to you if you are interested in the
product.

Please contact me at .

Lee

I wanted to add, to find a nicely produced brochure please follow the
link:

http://www.willyvanhoutte.be/pdf/wivlaten.pdf

My email address is wivamac @ 432one.com

Lee Ingram

Pascal Oudet

Richard,
I have a DB1200, and am very pleased with it. very good, heavy, solid
construction. I have also turned on the smaller DB800 during demos, a
good small lathe.
I believe they compete with lathes which are much more expensive.

Pascal

Paul

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:02:19 -0000, "Richard"
wrote:

Having decided to go for an upgrade in my lathe, I am very tempted by the
Wivamac range which were highly recommended in Woodturning a few months ago.
Anyone got any experience?

I have a DB1000 which I have used for nearly 2 years. It has the
straight legs like those on the current DB1200 model and it was also
made a little taller to suit my height.

I've used it for everything from pens to 20" bowls to vessels up to 2'
high and so far it has server me well. The only thing I didn't like
was the positioning of the controls (under the bed) so I made a remote
control which allows forward/reverse, speed control and emergency stop
all in a small box which can be placed anywhere on the lathe with
magnets on the back to keep it there.

When I bought it, I looked at the alternatives and it seemed to give
good value for money when you take into account the size.

On occasions, it would be useful to have more than 1hp but now you can
get a 2hp motor as an option on the DB1000 and it's standard on the
DB1200. Having said that, with the pulleys, you can always drop a
speed range to increase the torque and it isn't often necessary.

One feature I really like is the ability to program the speed
controller for acceleration/deceleration times (useful when you have
particularly large pieces of wood), upper and lower speed limits etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Paul
www.hannaby.com
replace spamtrap with rcwmail for email replies
Richard

Thanks to Paul and others who replied with useful guidance. A Wivamac
DB1000 it shall be. I look forward to many happy hours with it.

Richard
www.woodstockturning.co.uk