Reyd

Default Haven't posted in a while

Been too damn busy with my new lathe:-)
Finally went out and got my own shop set up so I can take work home.
Now have a general tablesaw(quite old, but well set up and taken care of)
the usual list of power and hand tools taking up a wall(drills, tap/die
sets, etc etc)
General maxi lathe,
Delta variable speed grinder.
so I just wanted to say thanks again to all of youse in the newsgroup,
it was reading here (and asking questions which I'm sure everyone got
fed up with) that finally got me interested, and I now turn for a living.

for some actually decent content, does anyone here use Hamlet gouges? I
ended going with them because they are more then 3x longer lasting then
P&N if you go by the numbers, and only 3 times as expenseive.

and I now recommend the delta variable speed higly, it was 129$CAN, and
runs anywhere from 2200rpm to 3300 IIRC, the wheels that come with are
good(a coarse grey for shovels and such, and a finer white for tools)
the only downside is they put a drill bit groove in the white wheel
rest, and it is too shallow and wide, interferes with tool sharpening.

--

Maybe I'm just a pessimist and am totally wrong; I could live quite
happily with that.
George

"Reyd" wrote in message
for some actually decent content, does anyone here use Hamlet gouges? I
ended going with them because they are more then 3x longer lasting then
P&N if you go by the numbers, and only 3 times as expenseive.

Couple, but mine are the 2030 middle hard. They work just fine. One says
Hamlet, other says Packard WW. I use 'em when sharp, sharpen when not, so I
guess I just don't keep score.

robo hippy

Reyd,
I got one of those 'keeps it's edge 3 times longer' gouges. For a
while it replaced my Elsworth signature gouge. It did hold an edge much
longer.I noticed it didn't keep the fresh off the grinder edge any
longer than the other gouge, but kept a good working edge longer.
Because of that, I used it exclusivly. Then one day, I picked up my
freshly sharpened Elsworth gouge for a finish cut, and noticed that it
had a much keener edge than the 3 times longer gouge. Now I mostly use
the 3 times longer gouge for most of the cutting, and the other gouge
for the finish cuts.
robo hippy

George wrote:
"Reyd" wrote in message
for some actually decent content, does anyone here use Hamlet

gouges? I
ended going with them because they are more then 3x longer lasting

then
P&N if you go by the numbers, and only 3 times as expenseive.

Couple, but mine are the 2030 middle hard. They work just fine. One

says
Hamlet, other says Packard WW. I use 'em when sharp, sharpen when

not, so I
guess I just don't keep score.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi there Reyd

Was wondering how you where, it's good to hear that you're busy and
doing fine.
Don't know about the Hamlet tools, I've got a Oneway Mastercut powder
metal bowl gouge, it's similar material IMO, and yes it stays sharper
longer, but I surely wasn't paying 3 times the price of other hss tools.
As a matter of fact, I bought a boxed set (6) of hss tools from Busy Bee
for $85.- Can., mind you they are not as long as the "long & strong"
tools but they keep a good edge and that for the price of one, I think I
might get another set while the price is good.
So you got yourself a decent grinder, yes it seems that nobody has a
half decent tool rest on their grinders anymore, I have an old Stanley
grinder that has the kind of toolrest a grinder should have, it's solid
and can be adjusted up/down, left/right, in/out, and extends toward the
grinder alongside the wheel, the new 10" grinder I bought has those
flimsy toolrests like you have, but you should build some rests like
Darrell Feltmate has on his web site, than your all set, yea I know your
busy, but it's sure a worth while project to do.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Reyd wrote:
[...]

Reyd

In article ,
Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Hi there Reyd

Was wondering how you where, it's good to hear that you're busy and
doing fine.
Don't know about the Hamlet tools, I've got a Oneway Mastercut powder
metal bowl gouge, it's similar material IMO, and yes it stays sharper
longer, but I surely wasn't paying 3 times the price of other hss tools.
As a matter of fact, I bought a boxed set (6) of hss tools from Busy Bee
for $85.- Can., mind you they are not as long as the "long & strong"
tools but they keep a good edge and that for the price of one, I think I
might get another set while the price is good.

hmm maybe for general turning,(which I am sad to say I have done none of
since sept at least, and not much since june) but for work I only use a
3/8th bowl gouge, long and strong Hamlet black handle ones, was 99$ CAN
and its about 24"long, I know I could have got it for less, or got a
glaser(spelling) for not much more, but when I needed it as of that day,
it was the best deal the shop had.

I'm hoping to find a faster way to cut cocobolo/euchalyptus(spelling
again) and other such things faster, I'm working laminates that are
about 1" across, and 1" long mostly, 3 layers deep with grain
perpendicular each layer, and perpendicular to the bed of the lathe.

each laminate is tapped, and superglued/threaded halfway onto a 1" bolt
the other half threads into a piece of steel held in the lathe
chuck.(its got a specific O.D. to match the diameter of the piece the
wood gets mated to after its turned.)
holding power is not an issue, I may be upgrading the motor soon, it
bogs down too much, and even if they blow up it is a non issue, so long
as I lose no more then 1 in 15 its all good.

I'm cutting curved profiles, mostly coves and just an outside rounding
off on the end.

So you got yourself a decent grinder, yes it seems that nobody has a
half decent tool rest on their grinders anymore, I have an old Stanley
grinder that has the kind of toolrest a grinder should have, it's solid
and can be adjusted up/down, left/right, in/out, and extends toward the
grinder alongside the wheel, the new 10" grinder I bought has those
flimsy toolrests like you have, but you should build some rests like
Darrell Feltmate has on his web site, than your all set, yea I know your
busy, but it's sure a worth while project to do.

matter of fact I've got some of the jigs from his site, as I posted in
another thread somewhere, but they are set for my silly old grinder(the
one that had the wheels that would drift a cm either way side to side).
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

same to you, and thanks for all the help.

Reyd wrote:
[...]

Mike Paulson

robo hippy wrote:
I got one of those 'keeps it's edge 3 times longer' gouges. For a
while it replaced my Elsworth signature gouge. It did hold an edge much
longer.I noticed it didn't keep the fresh off the grinder edge any
longer than the other gouge, but kept a good working edge longer.
Because of that, I used it exclusivly. Then one day, I picked up my
freshly sharpened Elsworth gouge for a finish cut, and noticed that it
had a much keener edge than the 3 times longer gouge. Now I mostly use
the 3 times longer gouge for most of the cutting, and the other gouge
for the finish cuts.
robo hippy

Very astute observation there, robo hippy (not sure about that moniker,
though grin). It's something that the more experienced turners are well
aware of. Everything in life is a trade-off, and when it comes to tool
steel, the general rule is that the longer the edge life, the less
ultimate sharpness it can attain. That's why wood carvers use carbon
steel blades. Turners generally don't feel they can get away with that
because of the vast quantity of shavings they can create in just a few
minutes, so HSS is the next best compromise. For roughing work, the
modern "designer" alloys hold their edge the longest but aren't the best
for finish cuts, though good enough in some hands and on some timbers. For
final finish cuts you really should come straight off the grinder, and if
you have to do that with your long life gouge every time you make a finish
cut, it probably won't last any longer than regular HSS.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co