Leo Van Der Loo

Hi there Reyd

Was wondering how you where, it's good to hear that you're busy and
doing fine.
Don't know about the Hamlet tools, I've got a Oneway Mastercut powder
metal bowl gouge, it's similar material IMO, and yes it stays sharper
longer, but I surely wasn't paying 3 times the price of other hss tools.
As a matter of fact, I bought a boxed set (6) of hss tools from Busy Bee
for $85.- Can., mind you they are not as long as the "long & strong"
tools but they keep a good edge and that for the price of one, I think I
might get another set while the price is good.
So you got yourself a decent grinder, yes it seems that nobody has a
half decent tool rest on their grinders anymore, I have an old Stanley
grinder that has the kind of toolrest a grinder should have, it's solid
and can be adjusted up/down, left/right, in/out, and extends toward the
grinder alongside the wheel, the new 10" grinder I bought has those
flimsy toolrests like you have, but you should build some rests like
Darrell Feltmate has on his web site, than your all set, yea I know your
busy, but it's sure a worth while project to do.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Reyd wrote:
Been too damn busy with my new lathe:-)
Finally went out and got my own shop set up so I can take work home.
Now have a general tablesaw(quite old, but well set up and taken care of)
the usual list of power and hand tools taking up a wall(drills, tap/die
sets, etc etc)
General maxi lathe,
Delta variable speed grinder.
so I just wanted to say thanks again to all of youse in the newsgroup,
it was reading here (and asking questions which I'm sure everyone got
fed up with) that finally got me interested, and I now turn for a living.

for some actually decent content, does anyone here use Hamlet gouges? I
ended going with them because they are more then 3x longer lasting then
P&N if you go by the numbers, and only 3 times as expenseive.

and I now recommend the delta variable speed higly, it was 129$CAN, and
runs anywhere from 2200rpm to 3300 IIRC, the wheels that come with are
good(a coarse grey for shovels and such, and a finer white for tools)
the only downside is they put a drill bit groove in the white wheel
rest, and it is too shallow and wide, interferes with tool sharpening.