Arch

Default How do you remove & replace the N3K tailstock handwheel?

I'm still using up hurricane NIP logs: turned end grain with the pith
left in. Plenty of wood to waste, so I'm using a faceplate and not
reversing. My Nova3000 tailstock is slim enough, but the hand wheel
interferes with hollowing out while leaving a long tail-tenon for
support. It also interferes with cutting a dovetail with a blank between
centers, but I need it for drilling etc.

I've lost the diagram and wonder if there is a quick & easy way to take
the tail handwheel off and put it back on? When it's off, I thought to
substitute a nut so the tool has more room. What size threads on a N3K?
TIA.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
I'm still using up hurricane NIP logs: turned end grain with the pith
left in. Plenty of wood to waste, so I'm using a faceplate and not
reversing. My Nova3000 tailstock is slim enough, but the hand wheel
interferes with hollowing out while leaving a long tail-tenon for
support. It also interferes with cutting a dovetail with a blank between
centers, but I need it for drilling etc.

I've lost the diagram and wonder if there is a quick & easy way to take
the tail handwheel off and put it back on? When it's off, I thought to
substitute a nut so the tool has more room. What size threads on a N3K?

I don't think that is possible. The handwheel (on my N3K, c1999) is an
integral part of the tailstock mechanism.

To disassemble you need to align the little hole in the handwheel with
the grubscrew in the tailstock casting. Once you have cleaned all the
dust out of the grub screw, it can be untightened with the appropriate
metric hex wrench. This allows you to remove the little hardened striker
plate from the slot in the top of the tailstock casting. The handwheel
and tailstock quill then slide out.

Once you have done that you will see that the handwheel has to be there
to keep the quill in place. You may be able bodge something up (are
woodturners allowed to use that phrase?) but don't ask me how?

I think you will find a downloadable manual on the teknatool website.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Arch

Thanks Derek, for your usual helpful advice. I should have looked before
asking, but your info might save another N3K owner some trouble. Guess I
better leave the handwheel alone and try to avoid it by using tools with
short thin handles.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter