Arch

Default An open letter to Shirley and Jonathan Cuff

Dear Shirley and Jonathan,

I, too, regret whatever fuel I added to the recent fire on this ng and I
am thankful of yours and other's willingness to quench it.
"Manners Maketh Man" on both sides of the pond ....and everywhere else
on earth.
I can't find the article in 'Woodturning' about your fine collection and
the wonderful support you two gave to the art of woodturning. but I am
glad to know that it continues. I do remember reading that neither of
you were knowledgeable or much interested in the craft, but bought
pieces that you liked from turners with whom you got on well.

If you haven't become too 'craft savvy' , having been exposed to the
best of worldwide craftsmen-artists, your participation in rcw threads
or as essays from a knowledgeable collector's perspective would be very
welcome. Consider using this multi-national group as a platform for your
approach. A strong but different leg of what I call the "wood art triad"
would be unique and a real plus for this ng.

No one can guarantee reasoned responses on an unmoderated forum, but
please don't reject my sincere invitaton out of hand.

You will always be welcome at my house and on this ng.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Lyn J. Mangiameli

The article is reproduced at the Jonathan website by going to the
"Press" link. Once there, just click on the respective pages.

http://www.thedanielcollection.co.uk/Press.htm

Lyn

Arch wrote:
[...]

Ray Sandusky

Arch

I agree wholeheartedly with your invitation!

It was sad to see the amount of goodwill wasted in the earlier thread and I
hope that this board does not fall into an inflamatory, insult driven
machine!

There are very few people who have amassed works on the scale of the "Daniel
Collection." I would only hope that their interest in American works have
not been tempered by the reception Jonathon received here.

I second your invitation and look forward to reading additional posts from
Jonathon about their effort in the future.

Ray Sandusky
Brentwood, TN USA

www.artisticwoods.com

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Arch

Thanks Lyn, That's the article. I think it should indemnify anyone
concerned about the consequences should Jonathan agree to pitch in. Do
you and others here welcome him or not?

I'm no pollyanna and I'm not condoning nor condemning anybody, but rcw
has survived many flaming threads and often the worst posters have
become (or resumed being) useful and reasoned contributors to rcw. You
are probably thinking; "takes one to know one."

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Lyn J. Mangiameli

Arch,
I've known Jonathon for a long time, though we have corresponded only
intermittently. All my earlier correspondence from him was most
gentlemanly and congenial.

I think he has been very generous towards all who are involved with
woodturned art. To the artist he has supported their artistry, both
directly through his (and Shirley's) purchases and indirectly by
generating greater attention for their work; to the larger body of
active woodturners, he has offered views of work that can broaden our
perspectives and provide inspiration; to those who only passively
appreciate woodturned art, he and Shirley allow us an opportunity to
view beautiful and stimulating pieces, some of which are not readily
available for viewing outside England. He does this all at his and
Shirley's own expense. Obviously he could be content to do this for
Shirley and himself alone (indeed, his insurance company might have
prefered he was less visible about his collection), but instead he and
Shirley choose to expend their own funds to create and maintain a means
for others to appreciate and learn from their collection.

So, I admire their generosity, and enjoy looking through their growing
collection, just as I did when they first started out and had fewer
pieces to share. I must confess I do find the scrolling a little
awkward, but that is really a most trivial thing in the context of the
great value and enjoyment all the other aspects of the site afford.

We all have times when we just don't feel like passively absorbing one
more whit of what seems to be ingratitude or abuse (which may or may not
be legitimately the case, but still seems real to onself) Obviously this
was his time and I know I have had my own moments. At those times, it is
easy to loose sight of the larger effects of our actions when we are
trying to not let prevail what we percieve to be the verbal bullies.
Again, I've been there (I didn't earn that COC for "nuthin"), and of
course, without any greater success in the enterprise.

In a moderated forum, it is unlikely the harshness of the earlier
threads would have been allowed to develop or remain in the way that it
has here. Again, one of the reasons I spend most of my time at the Wood
Central Turning forum. But most here move on and respond to each new
post on its own merit. I suspect this will be the course of things again.

Lyn

Arch wrote:
Thanks Lyn, That's the article. I think it should indemnify anyone
concerned about the consequences should Jonathan agree to pitch in. Do
you and others here welcome him or not?

I'm no pollyanna and I'm not condoning nor condemning anybody, but rcw
has survived many flaming threads and often the worst posters have
become (or resumed being) useful and reasoned contributors to rcw. You
are probably thinking; "takes one to know one."

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Lobby Dosser

Anonymous wrote:

If Godly devotion does not call you to keep a civil keyboard, perhaps
seeing a five year old irrational raving bearing your signature might.

Nah! I've got irrational ravings a lot younger than that. I've even been
known to lose $20 on the instant replay! )
Jonathon

Bill

I am monitoring both the temperature and sentiment in this thread to
Arch's open invitation - both to me and to more regular contributers
who may have taken offence at, let's face it, what became an exchange
of words in a manner and form that you would castigate a child for.

I would be pleased to have your email and will reply in a similarly
considered form to you personally. Much of what I will say is not for
public disection (you have no fears here Arch & Lyn) and may even put
matters back on an even footing for the pair of us.

As to future participation in this particular group - I have no strong
views either way as things currently stand but have noted with
gratitude the kind comments extended.

Jonathon