Bill Gooch

Default Beall Buffing system

I use the single buff system on a grinder turning at 3750, appreciate that that is too fast and I plan on buying a voltage reducer gadget to turn the speed down. Meanwhile (usually means quite a while as I procrastinate) I've lost more than a few nice bowls as their edge catches and they get thrown to the far side of the garage. Usually hold the bowls in a death grip but occasionally, as happened yesterday with a beautiful piece of oak which is now firewood, one gets away.

Question has anyone fashioned any kind of catcher for the Bell system. I've been thinking of trying to rig up a blanket or something that might save the bowls if they get away on me. (Arthritis in my fingers is what I'll blame all this on). Would appreciate any other guidance on this issue.

Does anyone use the White Diamond compound and Carnauba Wax while the bowl is still on the lathe? If so how do you apply the compound --- if I don't take the bowl off the lathe it ain't going anywhere....

All the best to one and all for 2005.

--
Bill Gooch

Kemptville, ON.

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Bill Gooch" wrote:

I use the single buff system on a grinder turning at 3750, appreciate that
that is too fast and I plan on buying a voltage reducer gadget to turn the
speed down.

Probably won't work on a bench grinder - wrong type of motor. Might burn
the motor out, though. Those devices work on universal brush-type motors
- typical on routers, hand grinders, circular saws. Noisy motors,
comparatively. Induction motors (which have no brushes, and run very
quietly, as a rule) cannot be speed controlled that way, as they work on
the frequency of the powerline, not the voltage.

Question has anyone fashioned any kind of catcher for the Bell system. I've
been thinking of trying to rig up a blanket or something that might save the
bowls if they get away on me. (Arthritis in my fingers is what I'll blame all
this on). Would appreciate any other guidance on this issue.

Set up something slower to buff on - no lost items. Look in the paper
for cheap used lathes - even a cheeseball lathe makes a pretty good
buff, and our local paper often has one or two in the sub-$100 range. Or
you can send the same money direct to harbor freight, I guess. Some of
the ones in the paper might be just a touch better for the money.

George

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
I use the single buff system on a grinder turning at 3750, appreciate that
that is too fast and I plan on buying a voltage reducer gadget to turn the
speed down. Meanwhile (usually means quite a while as I procrastinate) I've
lost more than a few nice bowls as their edge catches and they get thrown to
the far side of the garage. Usually hold the bowls in a death grip but
occasionally, as happened yesterday with a beautiful piece of oak which is
now firewood, one gets away.

Question has anyone fashioned any kind of catcher for the Bell system. I've
been thinking of trying to rig up a blanket or something that might save the
bowls if they get away on me. (Arthritis in my fingers is what I'll blame
all this on). Would appreciate any other guidance on this issue.

First - get the speed down. The energy available varies by the _square_ of
the velocity, so reducing to a 1725 motor will give only 1/4 the grab.
Using smaller buffs than those giant Beall's also helps.

Second - the voltage reducer will only burn out your motor if it's an
induction type. Forget it and scrounge an old dryer motor or such.

Third - follow that different drummer, mounting the piece on your lathe and
buffing with a hand-held system. I don't need to go to the lathe, because
my 1" 8tpi chuck mounts easily on my buffing stand, made from a bolt, but
you might consider it.

Leo Lichtman

Definitely do not try to reduce the voltage to your motor, as others have
warned, also. A quick and easy way to set up your buffing system is to buy
a length of All-thread. Slip your various buffs on, and secure each with
two nuts and washers. Mount this in your lathe, between spindle and
tailstock, and set the speed to whatever works for you. It will look sort
of like a shoe repair setup.

Then, when you find a cheap lathe, you can transfer the whole thing over, so
your good lathe is not tied up.

Chuck

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:04:47 -0500, "Bill Gooch"
wrote:

I use the single buff system on a grinder turning at 3750, appreciate =

Why don't you just set up your Beall so you can buff on your lathe?

In lieu of that, though, I have been known to use the white diamond
and carnauba with the piece still on the lathe, though. I use a paper
towel for the white diamond, applying the compound directly to the
spinning piece and buffing with the paper towel. Then I do the same
with the carnauba, substituting a piece of old flannel sheet (works
the best of anything I've found) to buff it out.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Earl

"Ecnerwal said: Look in the paper
for cheap used lathes - even a cheeseball lathe makes a pretty good
buff, and our local paper often has one or two in the sub-$100 range."

Why didn't I think of that! LOL I just dumped my ol' Delta 46-701--gave
it away in fact-- and I could have used it for buffing!. I've been
looking at the Beall systems but have procrastinated because I didn't
have a good way to use it. I could have kept that ol' lathe and it
would have been great for that purpose. Oh well, live and learn...
Earl