Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Bill Gooch" wrote:

I use the single buff system on a grinder turning at 3750, appreciate that
that is too fast and I plan on buying a voltage reducer gadget to turn the
speed down.

Probably won't work on a bench grinder - wrong type of motor. Might burn
the motor out, though. Those devices work on universal brush-type motors
- typical on routers, hand grinders, circular saws. Noisy motors,
comparatively. Induction motors (which have no brushes, and run very
quietly, as a rule) cannot be speed controlled that way, as they work on
the frequency of the powerline, not the voltage.

Question has anyone fashioned any kind of catcher for the Bell system. I've
been thinking of trying to rig up a blanket or something that might save the
bowls if they get away on me. (Arthritis in my fingers is what I'll blame all
this on). Would appreciate any other guidance on this issue.

Set up something slower to buff on - no lost items. Look in the paper
for cheap used lathes - even a cheeseball lathe makes a pretty good
buff, and our local paper often has one or two in the sub-$100 range. Or
you can send the same money direct to harbor freight, I guess. Some of
the ones in the paper might be just a touch better for the money.