Jon Endres, PE

Default Novice sharpening

Out of lurk mode (perpetual) to ask a question.

I loaned my 'old' set of lathe chisels to a friend who is a novice turner.
The tools are a ten-year-old set of off-the-shelf HSS "Delta" branded tools,
eight in all in a gray plastic case. I had taken a class in sharpening and
had gotten pretty good at getting a nice edge on them. However, this was a
year ago.

He's using the lathe tools to play around with in his brother's cabinet
shop, and nobody there knows how to properly sharpen them. I don't have the
time to teach him, and frankly, don't know if I'd be able to.

What I'd like to find is a video or something that can effectively teach a
novice turner how to do a good job on sharpening lathe tools. It'll be for
both of us, because I need practice. I have a year-old set of Crown Pro-PM
tools that I'm afraid to touch at this point, due to being away from a lathe
for a year and out of practice.

--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Jon Endres, PE" t
wrote:

What I'd like to find is a video or something that can effectively teach a
novice turner how to do a good job on sharpening lathe tools. It'll be for
both of us, because I need practice. I have a year-old set of Crown Pro-PM
tools that I'm afraid to touch at this point, due to being away from a lathe
for a year and out of practice.

The AAW has a video on sharpening by 4 pro turners who show how they
sharpen a variety of tools:

http://www.woodturner.org/products/videos/fundamental_sharp/

Clear, good video and audio, well explained.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
George

No video, but a thought. If the tools' conformations are comfortable to
you, use them as your jig, just as you would when honing other tools.

With HSS, a slow grinder, and soft wheels, you can easily do the same on
your wheels. Act as if you were cutting on the lathe, anchoring on the
toolrest, laying the heel of the bevel to the wheel and bringing the handle
up to "take a cut" in reverse.

"Jon Endres, PE" t wrote in
message ...

What I'd like to find is a video or something that can effectively teach a
novice turner how to do a good job on sharpening lathe tools. It'll be

for
both of us, because I need practice. I have a year-old set of Crown

Pro-PM
tools that I'm afraid to touch at this point, due to being away from a

lathe
for a year and out of practice.

Jon,

If you go to the San Diego Woodtuner's website, I have a sharpening
handout there that you can download.

http://www.tridsd.com/sdwt/index.html
Go to the Tips section

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Jon Endres, PE

Thanks all, for the help.

I've found a lot of good info already. Now the trick is remembering it and
being able to successfully apply it!

Jon

news:1102664436.b1ea29018434e784c04622653afd4e2f@t eranews...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jon,

If you go to the San Diego Woodtuner's website, I have a sharpening
handout there that you can download.

http://www.tridsd.com/sdwt/index.html
Go to the Tips section

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Jon Endres, PE" t
wrote:

Thanks all, for the help.

I've found a lot of good info already. Now the trick is remembering it and
being able to successfully apply it!

Jon

Darrel Feltmate has some dead simple jigs at:

http://www.roundthewoods.com

Though the site is not loading for me this morning...

Darrell Feltmate

Larence or Ecnerwal or Whoever
Put the "a" on around and it should laod well. Or just use the link after my
name. Glad you like the site.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate