Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jon Endres, PE

Default Novice sharpening

Out of lurk mode (perpetual) to ask a question.

I loaned my 'old' set of lathe chisels to a friend who is a novice turner.
The tools are a ten-year-old set of off-the-shelf HSS "Delta" branded tools,
eight in all in a gray plastic case. I had taken a class in sharpening and
had gotten pretty good at getting a nice edge on them. However, this was a
year ago.

He's using the lathe tools to play around with in his brother's cabinet
shop, and nobody there knows how to properly sharpen them. I don't have the
time to teach him, and frankly, don't know if I'd be able to.

What I'd like to find is a video or something that can effectively teach a
novice turner how to do a good job on sharpening lathe tools. It'll be for
both of us, because I need practice. I have a year-old set of Crown Pro-PM
tools that I'm afraid to touch at this point, due to being away from a lathe
for a year and out of practice.

--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net