DJ

Default fixing handles

Hallo

I have a number of wooden handled tools that I want to make new handles for.

Which wood is going to be best to use? And which is the best way to fix the
metal tools into the new wood handles?

Thanks

Dave

Derek Hartzell

Any hard hardwood will work, assuming you are not putting the handles under
extreme stress, like shovels. But I have even made shovel handles out of
alder, which is not very hard, which held up very well because they were not
cut with diagonal grain, like some handles from handle factories. A place
where several branches took off made a nice end knob for the top. I made
the shovel handles with a drawknife, not on the lathe.

Epoxy works great for fixing many types of heads. I buy a 16 oz epoxy batch
at a time and use it on a number of projects. If on a garden tool, it is
good to use a large diameter screw.

On lathe tools, a ferule (or reinforcement ring) is good to use. You can
use copper pipe, a brass bushing or other non-corrosive type of metal for
the ring.

Derek

Tom

I like mesquite. There are a lot of ways to affix the handles. Rivets come to
mind, press-fitting, and epoxy, to name a few Tom
Work at your leisure!