Ken Grunke

Default Palmgren wood lathe

I know Palmgren as a manufacturer of quality machinist vises, but I've
just noticed a tubular-bed woodturning lathe with that name--whether
it's the same company, don't know but it has a very unique drive
system--from what I can see, the motor is on the tailstock end! At
Amazon.com:

http://tinyurl.com/5vsbb

Anyone seen this lathe? Not in the market for another lathe, just curious.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/

Bill Rubenstein

From the link to other products it seems to be the same company. But, the machine looks
pretty much like every other low-end import except the stand which looks to be an even lower-
end import. My guess is that you could get that stand to 'sing' pretty easily.

Bill

In article , says...
I know Palmgren as a manufacturer of quality machinist vises, but I've
just noticed a tubular-bed woodturning lathe with that name--whether
it's the same company, don't know but it has a very unique drive
system--from what I can see, the motor is on the tailstock end! At
Amazon.com:

http://tinyurl.com/5vsbb

Anyone seen this lathe? Not in the market for another lathe, just curious.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/

Ken Grunke

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
From the link to other products it seems to be the same company. But, the machine looks
pretty much like every other low-end import except the stand which looks to be an even lower-
end import. My guess is that you could get that stand to 'sing' pretty easily.

Agreed--the stand does look extremely chintzy. You could not only get it
to sing, but DANCE as well!

The drive system is what caught my attention--I wonder if the drive
shaft runs through the bed tubes?

Ken Grunke

Jim Pugh

An acquaintence of mine showed up with a lathe like this one day. He had
gotten his as a Craftsman from Sears. We were going to give him some
lessons on it but soon became frustrated and moved to one of my lathes.
"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
I know Palmgren as a manufacturer of quality machinist vises, but I've just
noticed a tubular-bed woodturning lathe with that name--whether it's the
same company, don't know but it has a very unique drive system--from what I
can see, the motor is on the tailstock end! At Amazon.com:

http://tinyurl.com/5vsbb

Anyone seen this lathe? Not in the market for another lathe, just curious.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Ken Grunke

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
Ken:

Well, I'll be darned -- the motor is really on the wrong end and I didn't even notice that.
I'd say that either the drive shaft must run through the tube as you suggest (some more
unsupported stuff to sing and dance) or maybe the whole lathe turns and the workpiece stays
stationary.

LOL!
Which would give a whole new meaning to the word "woodturner", who would
have to follow the lathe as is spins.
After looking at it again, especially the tailstock design, my
proverbial ten-foot pole would definitely be pointed in the other
direction! Palmgren should stick with what they know best--vises.

Ken

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Ken

Never seen the lathe but for what it looks like to me, it is a lot of
headache's in a package

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Ken Grunke wrote:

I know Palmgren as a manufacturer of quality machinist vises, but I've
just noticed a tubular-bed woodturning lathe with that name--whether
it's the same company, don't know but it has a very unique drive
system--from what I can see, the motor is on the tailstock end! At
Amazon.com:

http://tinyurl.com/5vsbb

Anyone seen this lathe? Not in the market for another lathe, just curious.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Arch

Ken, what we have here is Palmgren's failure to communicate. It's a
motorized machinist's vise. HTH.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

JHS

They make 2 lathes. Looks like there is a family resemblance with Sears
lathes.

http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/p-wp-lathes.html