buck

Default Spindle Work.... How tight is enough?

When doing spindle work "how snug should the piece be"? Do you tighten the
tailstock just enough to create friction so the piece doesn't slip or should
you tighten it up real snug? I'm talking about a 2" square X 24" long.

Thanks

Barry N. Turner

You really ought to seat the drive center with a mallet, then tighten the
tailstock quill to seat the tailstock center snugly, then back it off a bit.
Ball bearing live centers are best.

Barry

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
When doing spindle work "how snug should the piece be"? Do you tighten

the
tailstock just enough to create friction so the piece doesn't slip or

should
you tighten it up real snug? I'm talking about a 2" square X 24" long.

Thanks

Fred Holder

Hello Buck,

If you have cut a cross on the headstock end for the spur drive to fit into, the
normal procedure is to tighten up the tailstock fairly snug to seat the wood
onto the spur and then back off the pressure a bit. Only experience will tell
you how much to back off. You do not want so much pressure that it causes the
piece of wood to bow slightly in the middle. This can cause a lot of problems,
out of round, chatter on the surface of the wood, etc.

I personally use a Steb Center to drive my spindle work and it does require some
pressure to make the little points on the drive center dig into the wood. It is
nice in that you can back off the tailstock a bit and actually stop the spindle
to inspect it without taking it off of the lathe or stopping the lathe.

Even on a 24 inch spindle, it would be good to have a center steady to help
stabilize the wood for turning. If you are going to do very much spindle work, I
recommend you either purchase a center steady or make one. There are several
plans kicking around on how to make them. A search of Google might readily turn
up their location.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article rs.com, buck
says...

When doing spindle work "how snug should the piece be"? Do you tighten the
tailstock just enough to create friction so the piece doesn't slip or should
you tighten it up real snug? I'm talking about a 2" square X 24" long.

Thanks

Bruce Ferguson

Check Alan Lacers's site, he recomends for beginers a dead center. With
that you can adjust the drive to slip the spindle so if you get a catch the
piece with stop and slip on the drive center. If you need more drive
tighten the tail center. It is great for learning the skew as you are not
worrying about catches. hope this helps.

Bruce
"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
When doing spindle work "how snug should the piece be"? Do you tighten
the
tailstock just enough to create friction so the piece doesn't slip or
should
you tighten it up real snug? I'm talking about a 2" square X 24" long.

Thanks

George

My advice is to use a cup center at the tailstock, one which provides a
point and a rim. Give this a tap to make the circle show. If you have this
type of center, versus a point only, the tactic of seating the fangs and
backing works best. With a simple point, you open up for a catch and squirm
dismount.

How tight is enough? Meet it, don't squeeze it.

ervers.com...