George

My advice is to use a cup center at the tailstock, one which provides a
point and a rim. Give this a tap to make the circle show. If you have this
type of center, versus a point only, the tactic of seating the fangs and
backing works best. With a simple point, you open up for a catch and squirm
dismount.

How tight is enough? Meet it, don't squeeze it.

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
When doing spindle work "how snug should the piece be"? Do you tighten

the
tailstock just enough to create friction so the piece doesn't slip or

should
you tighten it up real snug? I'm talking about a 2" square X 24" long.

Thanks