Bill Grumbine

Default My new DVD

Greetings all

This is a shameless self promotional post, posted in accordance with the
rules of this newsgroup. If this offends you, please stop reading here.

Back in January 2004 I was approached by a student of mine about making a
bowl turning DVD. To make a long story a little shorter, I agreed, and we
filmed it in August. I have had an informal survey on my personal site
since we began this project, attempting to assess the level of interest.
You can probably guess by now that I got, and continue to get responses in
the affirmative. Well, it is here. The UPS guy just dropped off a big box
of the things this afternoon. If you want to learn more, click on the link
below:

http://www.wonderfulwood.com/dvd.html

This DVD is over 2 hours long, and covers my entire basic bowl turning class
from cutting the log in the field to buffing the finished bowl on a buffer.
If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them publicly or
privately. Thanks for taking a look.

Oh yeah, if you wrote me and asked to be notified personally, I will be
getting to that as quickly as I can, so please don't think I am ignoring
you. Right now I am doing one of the things that all turners love to think
about - picking up a new lathe!

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

commercial site www.wonderfulwood.com
personal site www.enter.net/~ultradad

Arch

For newcomers to woodturning who may not know Bill Gumbine:

He long ago earned the right to post his promotion here and instead of
taking offence please welcome Bill's input and buy his teaching DVD or
tape. You won't go wrong.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

WoodMangler

Bill,
I'm new to turning, and have purchased a couple of videos by Raffan.
Since I've got a limited budget to spend on these types of things, can
you tell me what I would benefit by buying your DVD as well?

Thanks,
Russ
Bill Grumbine

Hi Russ

This might be sort of hard for me to answer, since just about anything I
write might come across as my having an overly active ego. But here goes.
When we put this thing together, I put my entire bowl turning class on film.
Throughout my teaching career, I have endeavoured to teach from the point of
view of the student. For example, if you watch my DVD, you will see that
the rough slab I use is no where close to being evenly cut. I had my choice
of much nicer slabs to work with (and I could have always cut more off
camera!), but rather than try and impress people with how well I can cut a
piece of wood, I wanted to show the viewers how to handle a piece of wood
that has been less than perfectly processed, and how to deal with things
that we all deal with as beginners. Throughout the film I not only show how
a cut is made, I show the most common mistakes that are also made, those
mistakes that happen when we are close but not quite with a successful cut -
those really frustrating ones. In other words, this is truly an
instructional video and not a showcase of my abilities. There are some of
them in there, but I really focused on how you can do this after watching
the video, not how I can already do it.

I hope this answers your question some, but if not, ask away, and I will try
again.

Thanks for your interest.

--

"WoodMangler" wrote in message
Bill,
I'm new to turning, and have purchased a couple of videos by Raffan.
Since I've got a limited budget to spend on these types of things, can
you tell me what I would benefit by buying your DVD as well?

Thanks,
Russ

Ken Moon

"WoodMangler" wrote in message
Bill,
I'm new to turning, and have purchased a couple of videos by Raffan.
Since I've got a limited budget to spend on these types of things, can you
tell me what I would benefit by buying your DVD as well?

Thanks,
Russ

============================
Russ,
This may not be the answer you're looking for, but if his DVD can help you
get anywhere near the finished appearance of the bowls (and other things) he
regularly shows on the WOW site, it will be worth the money.

FWIW,

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Leif Thorvaldson

"Bill Grumbine" wrote in message
[...]

=====New lathe??? You wore out your Poolwood Euro 45,000 all ready?? What
is your choice this time, Bill?

Leif

WoodMangler

Bill Grumbine wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I am going to order your video today; what I'm
hoping to get is as you say, an instructional video and not a showcase
of your abilities. I'm finding the Raffan video a little hard to learn
from: "Here's me going fast... Here's me going slow...". He's a
wonderful turner I'm certain, but someone who's more of a teacher might
make a better video instructor.

I hope this answers your question some, but if not, ask away, and I will try
again.

Thanks, Russ
Bill Grumbine

Hi Leif

The Poolewood is doing well, and I should be turning on if for many moons to
come. I recently picked up a job turning legs for a furniture shop which is
larger than mine, but has no turner. I need to do them in batches of 60, so
I am springing for a Mini Max T-124 copy lathe. I have been duplicating by
hand and eye with calipers and a story stick for years, but numbers like
this convinved me and my bookkeeper (SWMBO) to go for the copy lathe. I was
also fortunate in that I was able to buy a barely used one for a very good
price.

--

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

[...]

Bill Grumbine

Thanks Russ. I got your order, and I am hoping you will be pleasantly
surprised. I have been teaching since 1995, and have taught people from
little children up to grandparents. During the filming of the video I had
five of my past students watching and contributing (off camera) for things
that I might have missed, or could have done a little differently to explain
it better. I think that the efforts of these men made it a bit better than
I could have done on my own. I will look forward to hearing some feedback
from you once you receive it and have time to watch it.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

commercial site www.wonderfulwood.com
personal site www.enter.net/~ultradad
"WoodMangler" wrote in message
. ..
Bill Grumbine wrote:
[...]

Mike in Mystic

Hi Bill:

At present I just have a Jet mini lathe (with VS). Would the techniques in
your DVD benefit someone like me with such a small lathe? I've been
thinking of trying some small bowls, but haven't really known the right way
to do it.

Mike

[...]

Bill Grumbine

Hi Mike

I am sure they would, since the techniques are pretty much the same
regardless of the size of the bowl. Besides, the one bowl I am turning in
the video is only a little bit over 8" in diameter, so that would work on
your mini!

Thanks for asking.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

commercial site www.wonderfulwood.com
personal site www.enter.net/~ultradad
"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Mike in Mystic

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, but since I haven't ever turned a
bowl I really am not sure what the size might do to the process.

I sent my wife the link and gave her a helpful hint about getting this for
Christmas- it's in her hands now After the holidays I'll have more rope
to play with, so I'll put this in my links - judging from the index of the
DVD it looks to be extremely comprehensive.

Mike

.. .