Bill Grumbine

Hi Russ

This might be sort of hard for me to answer, since just about anything I
write might come across as my having an overly active ego. But here goes.
When we put this thing together, I put my entire bowl turning class on film.
Throughout my teaching career, I have endeavoured to teach from the point of
view of the student. For example, if you watch my DVD, you will see that
the rough slab I use is no where close to being evenly cut. I had my choice
of much nicer slabs to work with (and I could have always cut more off
camera!), but rather than try and impress people with how well I can cut a
piece of wood, I wanted to show the viewers how to handle a piece of wood
that has been less than perfectly processed, and how to deal with things
that we all deal with as beginners. Throughout the film I not only show how
a cut is made, I show the most common mistakes that are also made, those
mistakes that happen when we are close but not quite with a successful cut -
those really frustrating ones. In other words, this is truly an
instructional video and not a showcase of my abilities. There are some of
them in there, but I really focused on how you can do this after watching
the video, not how I can already do it.

I hope this answers your question some, but if not, ask away, and I will try
again.

Thanks for your interest.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

commercial site www.wonderfulwood.com
personal site www.enter.net/~ultradad
"WoodMangler" wrote in message
Bill,
I'm new to turning, and have purchased a couple of videos by Raffan.
Since I've got a limited budget to spend on these types of things, can
you tell me what I would benefit by buying your DVD as well?

Thanks,
Russ