Doug Miller

In article , Joe Gorman wrote:
Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.

Was that the lens of your safety glasses, or the lens of your prescription
eyeglasses?

--
Regards,

Joe Gorman

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Joe Gorman wrote:

Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.

Was that the lens of your safety glasses, or the lens of your prescription
eyeglasses?

--
Regards,

Prescription. They were supposed to be safety lenses, according
to the optometrist who sold them. I don't go there anymore.
Joe
anonymous

RonB wrote:

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

Just thought I'd mention that it is umwise to feed short lengths of wood
(prunings from cutting bowl blanks that had a very rough de-horning prior
to planing) into the planer if they have a deep dish in the top side. Not
even if they have absolutely gorgeous grain that it would be criminal to
waste.

They start to feed in, then halt because they are past the first feed roller
but not yet to the second.

Then they make a large BANG! sound when you push them into the blades with a
push stick. If you keep trying, it is possible for them to get small enough
to fly out backwards at speeds approaching the speed of light ... well, I
never saw it move, but my knuckle recorded the fact.

DAMHIKT

Bills 5th Law of Woodworking: Wood entering the electric planer must already
be flat.

Doug Miller

In article , Joe Gorman wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Joe Gorman

wrote:

Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.

Was that the lens of your safety glasses, or the lens of your prescription
eyeglasses?

Prescription. They were supposed to be safety lenses, according
to the optometrist who sold them. I don't go there anymore.

Sounds like you might want to talk to a lawyer. At the minimum, if I were in
your shoes, I'd be looking for the optometrist to pay for the medical
treatment and a replacement pair of glasses.

Keep in mind, also, that even safety prescription glasses don't afford as much
protection as safety goggles do, because the lenses are smaller. Like you, I
also wear prescription eyeglasses, and goggles are often a PITA (for those
who don't wear eyeglasses, if you do, goggles often make your glasses fog up,
and it's easy to knock your eyeglasses askew when taking the goggles on and
off).

About five years ago, I switched to using a face shield, and I'll never go
back to goggles. The face shield never fogs up, and I've never bumped my
eyeglasses with it, even once. It's so easy, and so quick, to put on, that I
use it *far* more than I ever used goggles, which increases the safety factor
that much more. Another bonus: there are other things on your face, besides
your eyes, that deserve protection: how'd you like to have a table saw or a
lathe throw a chunk of wood into your teeth?

The only disadvantage I've seen to the face shield so far is that you have to
remember to flip it up when you feel a sneeze coming on....

--
Regards,

Ralph

I bet The dentist would love it.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Joe Gorman wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Joe Gorman

wrote:

[...]

Maxprop

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

In article , Joe Gorman

Prescription. They were supposed to be safety lenses, according
to the optometrist who sold them. I don't go there anymore.

Sounds like you might want to talk to a lawyer. At the minimum, if I were

in
your shoes, I'd be looking for the optometrist to pay for the medical
treatment and a replacement pair of glasses.

I tuned into this thread a bit late, but perhaps I can be of some help. As
an optometrist, I can at least shed some light on the problem with the
lens--which appears to have broken due to impact, if I'm extrapolating
correctly--or at least with why it didn't protect the eye. Please feel free
to inquire.

As to seeking legal help, that should be a last resort effort. As soon as
you retain an attorney, any cooperation between the doctor and the patient
evaporates, by instruction from the doctor's lawyer. Most problems can be
worked out without dragging the issue into a legal environment.

Keep in mind, also, that even safety prescription glasses don't afford as

much
protection as safety goggles do, because the lenses are smaller. Like you,

also wear prescription eyeglasses, and goggles are often a PITA (for those
who don't wear eyeglasses, if you do, goggles often make your glasses fog

up,
and it's easy to knock your eyeglasses askew when taking the goggles on

and
off).

Contrary to popular belief, safety glasses really provide very little
protection against impacts of significant velocity and/or mass. At best
they will keep flying particles and tiny objects out of the wearer's eyes,
but are limited in effect with respect to heavy objects flying at
significant velocities. Crown glass safety lenses are really no better than
CR-39 hard resin (plastic) lenses made for non-safety glasses, and most
likely worse. The best lenses are polycarbonate, but their ability to
resist significant impact is limited by the ability of the frame to hold the
lens in place without releasing the lens or collapsing under the impact.
Polycarbonate generally won't break or shatter. And you are correct w/r/t
goggles--they offer superior eye protection. So do polycarbonate face
shields.

About five years ago, I switched to using a face shield, and I'll never go
back to goggles. The face shield never fogs up, and I've never bumped my
eyeglasses with it, even once. It's so easy, and so quick, to put on, that

use it *far* more than I ever used goggles, which increases the safety

factor
that much more. Another bonus: there are other things on your face,

besides
your eyes, that deserve protection: how'd you like to have a table saw or

lathe throw a chunk of wood into your teeth?

Fine advice.

Max

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
anonymous wrote:

They start to feed in, then halt because they are past the first feed roller
but not yet to the second.

Then they make a large BANG! sound when you push them into the blades with a
push stick. If you keep trying, it is possible for them to get small enough
to fly out backwards at speeds approaching the speed of light ...

Last time (and first time) I tried that, it actually came out in pieces.
Yup, huge bang, and very very very fast....

PK
Greg Millen

That was a good read Maxprop, thanks.

--

Greg

"Maxprop" wrote in message ...

some good stuff snipped

Joe Gorman

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

Well, it was a few years ago so the lawyer is out. I had been
clearing the chunks at the beginning. I was trimming a bunch of
poplar 2x2's and got tired of moving the scraps off the table.
After all they were just sitting there. Then one jiggled just far
enough for the rear tooth of the blade to toss it at me. I tend
to have a little retroactive amnesia whenever something like this
happens so the next thing I remember was holding one hand over the
damaged eye and looking for the glasses with the other eye. Found
the glasses, picked up the lens pieces and went for a ride.
Joe
Mark Jerde

Joe Gorman wrote:

Well, it was a few years ago so the lawyer is out. I had been
clearing the chunks at the beginning. I was trimming a bunch of
poplar 2x2's and got tired of moving the scraps off the table.
After all they were just sitting there.

As I read in a library table saw book, use compressed air to blow those
babies off the back of the saw. It's fast & easy.

This is the primary reason I find myself looking at the HF compressors each
Sunday on my way home after church. ;-)

-- Mark

Maxprop

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message

Well, it was a few years ago so the lawyer is out. I had been
clearing the chunks at the beginning. I was trimming a bunch of
poplar 2x2's and got tired of moving the scraps off the table.
After all they were just sitting there. Then one jiggled just far
enough for the rear tooth of the blade to toss it at me. I tend
to have a little retroactive amnesia whenever something like this
happens so the next thing I remember was holding one hand over the
damaged eye and looking for the glasses with the other eye. Found
the glasses, picked up the lens pieces and went for a ride.

What material were the lenses, Joe?

As I mentioned earlier, polycarbonate is the only true safety lens. For
future reference, insist on polycarb for any pair of glasses you wish to use
with activities that have the potential for flying objects. And no rimless
or semi-rimless frames, either. A good, solid plastic or metal eyewire
surrounding the lens is an absolute necessity for holding the lens in place.

Max

Tim and Stephanie

"My Old Tools" wrote in message
Ever spliced an extension cord to make it longer. Here's how:

1) carefully uplug the drill from the end
2) get pocket knife
3) admire new hole in pocket knife blade
4) unplug remainder of cord
5) reset breaker

I did that, except for me step 3 was "throw away brand new, now useless,
Klein Lineman's pliers". You'd think that a pair of Klein lineman's pliers
would handle something like this, but then I guess any lineman would
probably wouldn't have been dumb enough to do that...

Dave in Fairfax

Tim and Stephanie wrote:
I did that, except for me step 3 was "throw away brand new, now useless,
Klein Lineman's pliers". You'd think that a pair of Klein lineman's pliers
would handle something like this, but then I guess any lineman would
probably wouldn't have been dumb enough to do that...

Sorry to hear that you tossed them. Especially after you went to
the trouble of making a custom wire stripper accessory in them.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Ken Moon

"Tim and Stephanie" wrote in message

"My Old Tools" wrote in message
Ever spliced an extension cord to make it longer. Here's how:

1) carefully uplug the drill from the end
2) get pocket knife
3) admire new hole in pocket knife blade
4) unplug remainder of cord
5) reset breaker

I did that, except for me step 3 was "throw away brand new, now useless,
Klein Lineman's pliers". You'd think that a pair of Klein lineman's
pliers
would handle something like this, but then I guess any lineman would
probably wouldn't have been dumb enough to do that...

==============================

When you think about it, the house AC input line is usually capable of 200
amps or more. When you cut into the conductors, you're putting 24,000 Watts
or more into about a 3-5 mm chunk of steel until the 20 Amp fuse, or circuit
breaker, for the circuit you're plugged into blows. That's enough to light
240, or more, 100W light bulbs. No wonder it burns a chunk out of your
pliers.
BTW, I did the same thing after my coworker assured me the breaker was OFF!!
{:-()

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Norman D. Crow

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Tim and Stephanie" wrote in message

"My Old Tools" wrote in message

snippage

I have no proof this is a true story, but it was told to me by a choir
member at rehearsal Wed. night . . . He says he was @ the Vet's hospital in
Pittsburgh earlier in the week, and saw a guy in a neck collar AND a full
torso cast.
"Were you in an accident?"
"No, I have a problem with my neck. Sometimes when I turn my head, something
happens and I pass out."
"That explains the neck brace, but why the full torso cast?"
"I was working in my shop, cutting wood on the table saw, when I turned my
head, passed out, and fell ON the saw."

He didn't carry the conversation any further.

--
Nahmie

Joe Gorman

Maxprop wrote:
"Joe Gorman" wrote in message

[...]

No idea. I think I've got the pieces somewhere, anyway to tell by
filing scraping or burning?
Joe
Maxprop

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:

What material were the lenses, Joe?

No idea. I think I've got the pieces somewhere, anyway to tell by
filing scraping or burning?

Believe it or not the way we determine glass vs. plastic is to tap them
gently against a tooth. If the resulting sound is a bright "click" they're
glass. If the sound is a dull "clack" they're plastic. Obviously if
they're in pieces they weren't polycarb. I've seen polycarb lenses that
have been placed in a vise and shot with a .22 caliber round at close range.
The bullet distorted the lens by about an inch, but failed to penetrate. No
breakage either.

Max

anonymous

Ken Moon wrote:

BTW, I did the same thing after my coworker assured me the breaker was
OFF!!
{:-()

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

At work I have been asked to write up Lock Out / Tag Out procedures for
working on all of our various sorts of equipment.

Thanks for reminding me that all circuits should be tested before being
trusted.

Bill in Detroit