Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:07:15 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

In article 1100152319.+ODWFtGYKWZOSjgiq4V29w@teranews, "william_b_noble"
wrote:
lol

the solution for chuck keys, wrenches, etc is to always hold them in your
hand - if you don't let go until it's removed from the tool, you won't
start the tool with the wrench attached. (works for me)

That's only half the solution. The other half is to make sure you put it
down in the same place every time, so you know where it is the next time
you need it.

Use a key with a spring loaded center pin which pops the key out if you
let go. I store the key on the right side of the belt housing with one
of those dime diameter rare earth magnets. The key _won't_ fall off on
its own.

-Doug
Mark Hopkins

Never, I mean NEVER scratch the family jewels after applying Capzacin-HP to
a sore back. This stuff is made from really hot peppers and reacts to body
heat. Even a week later you can still feel it when the sun shines on you.

It will make any tough guy cry real tears....trust me.

"Jay Arr" wrote in message
I dropped a generous glob of Nitromors (Paint remover) on my lap. When

the
chemical eventually reached my crown jewels there was no time for
contemplation. I rushed headlong straightaway into the kitchen, dropped

my
Jeans and y-fronts, splashed my bare burning privates with water. Such
relief. As the agony subsided I realised I had a spectator. The local
spinster lady was standing in the road, both hands full of shopping bags,
mouth agape.

Jim the Limp

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:06:31 +0800, Paulco
wrote:

the power cord of the saw was about 4 inches long.

I think we can guess what happened to that !

Some friends of mine asked me to repair their handheld planer a while
back. They're hippies and are scared of this new-fangled electrickery
business. Apart from the fatal "bite", the cable for the planer had
at least six oval scoops missing from it, two of them wrapped in brown
parcel tape.

--
Smert' spamionam

Paulco

Here in Australia we have some stuff called Denkorub which is a deep
heat type thing for muscle soreness - after a football game you can
usually smell the change rooms from 200 feet away because of the
stuff.

You learn at an early age to wash your hands twice before you go to
the dunny after using the stuff.
Cheers
Paul

wrote:

the power cord of the saw was about 4 inches long.

I think we can guess what happened to that !

Some friends of mine asked me to repair their handheld planer a while
back. They're hippies and are scared of this new-fangled electrickery
business. Apart from the fatal "bite", the cable for the planer had
at least six oval scoops missing from it, two of them wrapped in brown
parcel tape.

--
Smert' spamionam

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia
mac davis

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:47:21 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "George" george@least wrote:
They make these nifty things for less than a buck which allow you to connect
the key to a cord. Or not, which I guess is why they're International
Orange.

Not always practical on a drill press, though. I've never had problems losing
the chuck keys for my portable drills, but I had a hard time keeping track of
the drill press key until I bought one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.
asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page=41734&category=1,42363, 42356

My drill press key came with one of those rubber sleeves fitted over
the end and a big loop... I keep the loop over the fence adjustment
know so I always Usually, sometimes) know just where to find it..
George

My press is close enough to the outlet that I can strap it to the cord.
It's also a self-ejector.

Didn't plan it, just worked out that way. Also has a hole in the rear of
the table designed to put the longer arm of the handle in.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "George" george@least wrote:
They make these nifty things for less than a buck which allow you to

connect
the key to a cord. Or not, which I guess is why they're International
Orange.

Not always practical on a drill press, though. I've never had problems

losing
the chuck keys for my portable drills, but I had a hard time keeping track

of
the drill press key until I bought one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.
asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page=41734&category=1,42363,4 2356

Arch

Key hell! In my shop I often can't find the drill press.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:02:04 +0800, Paulco
wrote:

Here in Australia we have some stuff called Denkorub which is a deep
heat type thing for muscle soreness - after a football game you can
usually smell the change rooms from 200 feet away because of the
stuff.

Ski club. "Deep Heat". Don't ask about the rest.
David Hall

Paulco wrote in message . ..
My father years ago was cutting wood with a power saw, all of a sudden
the saw stopped, he turned round to blast us kids when he noticed that
the power cord of the saw was about 4 inches long.
How the hell he didn't get fried we have no idea because this was
about 81 and the saw was a metail bodied beast.
Cheers
Paul

hey, I've done that to the extension cord on the hedge trimmers a couple of times

Dave Hall
Derek Andrews

Mark Hopkins wrote:
Never, I mean NEVER scratch the family jewels after applying Capzacin-HP to
a sore back. This stuff is made from really hot peppers and reacts to body
heat. Even a week later you can still feel it when the sun shines on you.

I heard on the radio today that Scottish regiments stopped wearing kilts
into battle during the Great War. Apparently the mustard gas would rise
up under the kilt and burn the sweaty parts.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Tom Murphy

They's fast, ain't they? Good think it was only a 20' cord!

(At least that's what I've "heard".)

"Eric Johnson" wrote in message ...
Hmm reminds of a time I plugged in the belt sander (hand) and it was still
in the locked on position and was on a 20' extension cord... Duh

Dave in Fairfax

Derek Andrews wrote:
I heard on the radio today that Scottish regiments stopped wearing kilts
into battle during the Great War. Apparently the mustard gas would rise
up under the kilt and burn the sweaty parts.

Thanks for that visual. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
n2sawdust

I recently made a donut chuck from MDF so I can reverse mount a bowl and
detail and sand the bottom. I made it with sections of threaded rod so I
can adjust a wide range of bowl heights. My first one was rather short so
I had about 4 inches of threaded rod exposed out the backside of the chuck
(I figured there would not be a safety issue on the backside) On my first
run the thing went great, the bottom cleaned up beautifully. I was so
proud, my head grew two sizes, proportionally my safety awareness shrank
two sizes and I reached to turn of the machine......passing my hand right
through the spinning threaded rods that I couldn't see spinning at
1000rpm.
I got one of those nasty THUMP...OUCH....grab your hand and squeeze while
your mind wonders if your fingers are still going to be attached and in
one piece when you look.. Luckily it only caused some minor bruising and
small cuts. Once bitten, twice shy.....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paulco" wrote in message
My father years ago was cutting wood with a power saw, all of a sudden
the saw stopped, he turned round to blast us kids when he noticed that
the power cord of the saw was about 4 inches long.

Uh, if he needs the rest of it, I have it in the garage.

Peter Teubel

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:18:13 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Every wonder what would happen if you put your jointer knives in backwards,
but were too timid to try it.

Well, it makes setup real difficult and doesn't leave a good edge.

BTDT...burnished the plank to death...

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

RonB

Damn! This one took on life of its own.

RonB

"RonB" wrote in message
I am sure I am not the only one who carries a portable phone handset to the
garage shop.

I recommend not laying the handset on the belt of your belt/disk sander
station - especially if the switch was inadvertently turned on while the
machine was unplugged.

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

K. Jones

Or refinishing a hardwood floor, make sure the switch for the edger is off
before plugging in 20 feet of extension cord (especially when you have done
the finish coat on the main section of the floor, and there's 60-grit in the
edger).

Moves fast.

Kevin

"RonB" wrote in message
I am sure I am not the only one who carries a portable phone handset to

the
garage shop.

I recommend not laying the handset on the belt of your belt/disk sander
station - especially if the switch was inadvertently turned on while the
machine was unplugged.

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

n2sawdust

I can just see Tim Allen and Al Borland now.....ARGH!!!

Chuck

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:46:04 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

When using your forearm to wind up an extension cord, slow
down for the last couple of feet.

Be sure to adhere EXTRA-rigidly to this rule when winding up the cord
on the hair dryer after showering...particularly if the towel around
your waist isn't snugged up tight (or is absent!).

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Morris Dovey

Doug Winterburn wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:07:15 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Use a key with a spring loaded center pin which pops the key out if you
let go. I store the key on the right side of the belt housing with one
of those dime diameter rare earth magnets. The key _won't_ fall off on
its own.

I like what ToolKraft did with my DP. The long handle of the key
plugs into the motor housing for storage - and if the key hasn't
been stored, then the DP can't be turned on.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Dave in Fairfax

Chuck wrote:
Be sure to adhere EXTRA-rigidly to this rule when winding up the cord
on the hair dryer after showering...particularly if the towel around
your waist isn't snugged up tight (or is absent!).

A hair dryer? Is this a neener?

Dave in fairfax (who doesn't need no steenkin' hair dryer)
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Mark Jerde

RonB wrote:
I am sure I am not the only one who carries a portable phone handset
to the garage shop.

I recommend not laying the handset on the belt of your belt/disk
sander station - especially if the switch was inadvertently turned on
while the machine was unplugged.

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

-- Mark

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:11:36 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Doug Winterburn wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:07:15 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Use a key with a spring loaded center pin which pops the key out if you
let go. I store the key on the right side of the belt housing with one
of those dime diameter rare earth magnets. The key _won't_ fall off on
its own.

I like what ToolKraft did with my DP. The long handle of the key
plugs into the motor housing for storage - and if the key hasn't
been stored, then the DP can't be turned on.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

I picked up a spring-loaded chain (looks kind of like a
small tape measure) that clips to one's belt/waistband, to hold
keys handily. I mounted it inside the belt housing on my press
with an "L" bracket, and, after pulling the chain through a
hole drilled in the bottom of the housing, hooked the chuck key
to it. Now..It is hanging handily out of the way, and, having the
chain attached to it makes it unlikely that it will get left
in the chuck by accident. The spring-loading, while strong enough
to retract the chuck if I let go of it, does not make it a
struggle to use the chuck.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Mark Jerde

Dave Mundt wrote:

I picked up a spring-loaded chain (looks kind of like a
small tape measure) that clips to one's belt/waistband, to hold
keys handily. I mounted it inside the belt housing on my press
with an "L" bracket, and, after pulling the chain through a
hole drilled in the bottom of the housing, hooked the chuck key
to it. Now..It is hanging handily out of the way, and, having the
chain attached to it makes it unlikely that it will get left
in the chuck by accident. The spring-loading, while strong enough
to retract the chuck if I let go of it, does not make it a
struggle to use the chuck.

My DP has the same thing and it works great. But it's not my idea -- it
came that way. I got my Jet from a woodworker who got married and developed
other hobbies. ;-)

-- Mark

Todd Fatheree

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
RonB wrote:
I am sure I am not the only one who carries a portable phone handset
to the garage shop.

I recommend not laying the handset on the belt of your belt/disk
sander station - especially if the switch was inadvertently turned on
while the machine was unplugged.

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into

the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

-- Mark

I have no idea what you're talking about. You also shouldn't run your
router with your head too close to the unit, because during a plunge cut, it
could kick back and hit you really hard in the forehead and leave a bruise.
At least that's what I read somewhere.

todd

My Old Tools

Ever spliced an extension cord to make it longer. Here's how:

1) carefully uplug the drill from the end
2) get pocket knife
3) admire new hole in pocket knife blade
4) unplug remainder of cord
5) reset breaker

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Tom" wrote in message
When I was sick one weekend, my wife decided to help out by trimming the
front hedge - that was the end of that extension cord.

Tom

"David Hall" wrote in message
om...
Paulco wrote in message
. ..
My father years ago was cutting wood with a power saw, all of a sudden
the saw stopped, he turned round to blast us kids when he noticed that
the power cord of the saw was about 4 inches long.
How the hell he didn't get fried we have no idea because this was
about 81 and the saw was a metail bodied beast.
Cheers
Paul

hey, I've done that to the extension cord on the hedge trimmers a couple
of times

Dave Hall

RonB

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into
the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

Also, don't pick up the cuttoffs until you are absolutely sure the blade has
stopped turning. It can make a hole in your finger stitches won't close.

Chuck

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:22:19 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Chuck wrote:
Be sure to adhere EXTRA-rigidly to this rule when winding up the cord
on the hair dryer after showering...particularly if the towel around
your waist isn't snugged up tight (or is absent!).

A hair dryer? Is this a neener?

Huh?

Dave in fairfax (who doesn't need no steenkin' hair dryer)

Sorry to hear that you're follically challenged.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Mapdude

Yeah, and don't think about using it as a sexual lubricant either.......

NoOne N Particular wrote:
You also need to scrub your hands REALLY REALLY well with lots and lots of
soap after using Vicks and before taking a leak.

Wayne

anonymous

RonB wrote:

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into
the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

Also, don't pick up the cuttoffs until you are absolutely sure the blade
has
stopped turning. It can make a hole in your finger stitches won't close.

That's amazing! Same thing happens when you reach over a bench grinder from
behind to turn it off. Mostly affects little fingers.

I had set a small (3") model on the ways of the lathe while sharpening a pen
trimmer because that's where the light is best (barely okay) in my 'shop'
in the dungeon.During use of the attached flex shaft it had turned 180 deg.
away from me. So I simply reached over it to turn it off.

When I saw the pink spray, I realized that I had probably not acted wisely.

No I didn't. I never said that. I would never do anything that stupid.
Someone else must have been using my computer. Darned Commies
^h^h^h^h^h^h^h Terrorists.

Bill

Writing under a new nom-de-plume because my other computer fried its
motherboard and I don't remember what name I used on it. Using the laptop
at the moment.

Bill McNutt

I heard that differently.

I heard that the scots regiments took fewer casualties from mustard
gas because of the argyle socks, which, because they are 100% wood
with lanoline, were resistant to the gas.

Mind you, I'm not sure I buy that. But it makes a good story.

Here are two that you CAN look up, though.

The scots DID, in fact wear thier kilts into battle during WWI.

They fought so fiercely that thier German opponents honored them with
the epithet: The Ladies from Hell.
http://www.army.mod.uk/highlanders/history.htm (Scroll down to 20th
century wars)

Hmmm. No woodworking in this post.

Next week I'm donning costume and taking my antique hand tools up to
Kentucky to spend the entire day demonstrating medieval woodworking
techniques to middle-school and high-school students. I hope that out
of the 500 or so that see me, one might be inspired to persue the
making of sawdust.

Scottish by heritage, American by the Grace of God,

Bill

Dave in Fairfax wrote in message ...
Derek Andrews wrote:
I heard on the radio today that Scottish regiments stopped wearing kilts
into battle during the Great War. Apparently the mustard gas would rise
up under the kilt and burn the sweaty parts.

Thanks for that visual. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Dave in Fairfax

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
Sure would "enhance" the experience, though *G*

Nope. Buddy of mine was on a date with a state beauty queen and
tried that with Ben-gay. She was NOT amused.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
John Smith

Oh Oh, I got one --

don't try to cut a coconut on a RAS saw unless it's VERY securily
fastened....

I tried this and my very makeshift jig to fasten it wasn't up to the job of
holding it in place. The result was dent in the wall, a ricocheting
coconut, which did damage to the other side of the shop, and a bunch of
flying coconut milk -- ever tried to clean sawdust mixed with cocunut milk?
Trust me, you don't want to.

John

"anonymous" wrote in message
RonB wrote:

[...]

Lobby Dosser

"John Smith" wrote:

Oh Oh, I got one --

don't try to cut a coconut on a RAS saw unless it's VERY securily
fastened....

I tried this and my very makeshift jig to fasten it wasn't up to the
job of holding it in place. The result was dent in the wall, a
ricocheting coconut, which did damage to the other side of the shop,
and a bunch of flying coconut milk -- ever tried to clean sawdust
mixed with cocunut milk? Trust me, you don't want to.

WOW! I woulda paid to see that! Assuming there was a safe place for the
audience ...

John

Lawrence Wasserman

Don't use a nail gun to work on a chicken coop without removing the
chickes first.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Joe Gorman

Mark Jerde wrote:
RonB wrote:

I am sure I am not the only one who carries a portable phone handset
to the garage shop.

I recommend not laying the handset on the belt of your belt/disk
sander station - especially if the switch was inadvertently turned on
while the machine was unplugged.

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

-- Mark

Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.
Joe
romover off all offcuts