RW

Default CA vs Titebond II as a filler.

I have this big ole mesquite burl I'm gonna turn some and make a table top
of some of it. I have not cut it up yet but I know it will have some voids
and weak spots. I did the google thing and found an article that said
Titebond II is a lot better than CA as a filler. Has anyone tried both and
have a preference? Also I plan on coloring it black. Ideas on that so far
are lampblack, printer toner (nasty stuff, I used to repair laser ptrs) and
concrete colorant. Which is best?

Thanks
Wayne in Phoenix

Leo Lichtman

"RW" wroteclip) lampblack, printer toner (clip) and concrete colorant.
Which is best?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think lampblack and concrete coloring are the same. I don't know about
toner, but I am pretty sure they will all work the same. Use whichever is
most available and cheapest.

Ken Moon

"RW" wrote in message ...
I have this big ole mesquite burl I'm gonna turn some and make a table top
of some of it. I have not cut it up yet but I know it will have some voids
and weak spots. I did the google thing and found an article that said
Titebond II is a lot better than CA as a filler. Has anyone tried both and
have a preference? Also I plan on coloring it black. Ideas on that so far
are lampblack, printer toner (nasty stuff, I used to repair laser ptrs)

and
concrete colorant. Which is best?

Thanks
Wayne in Phoenix

========================
CA and Titebond may be OK for small crack type voids, but for anything over
about 3/16 in, I would go with epoxy. I've used it in mesquite voids in the
past, and color it with black acrylic artist's paint. It just takes a few
drops. Haven't done the lamp black, but have heard it does well also. It
might be preferable in cases where the void ends up in the side wall of a
turning. You could probably get better color concentration before affecting
the strength of the epoxy.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Toro / Briggs&Stratton Stuck Oil Filler Cap Filipo Home Repair 12 June 11th 19 07:44 PM
wood filler question Bruce Woodworking 2 February 16th 04 02:05 PM
Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack? Alex UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:31 PM