Denis Marier

Default Defective electric motors

As I was shopping for a new lathe a dealer/importer informed me that he no
longer carried lathes from Australia and New Zealand . I asked him why he
replied that he had too many electric motor malfunctions. The time invested
in haggling over the warranty with the original manufacturers located down
under was too much. This made the new lathe owners very dissatisfied with
the downtime in waiting for replacements. Several time electric motors had
to be refurbished locally and the cost absorbed by the dealer.
Now, some original manufacturers are shipping lathes without the electric
motor to avoid replacement problems. It is hard to believe that after
paying from $5,000.00-$10,000.00 one is stuck with a warranty problem
causing down time. Maybe this dealer was putting me on. I wonder if
someone else has had the same problem?

Bill Rubenstein

I'd be interested to know who was the dealer and who were the manufacturers he was talking
about. He is painting a very large country and two pretty big islands with a very broad
brush.

All normal motors are made by a number of international companies -- except for special
purpose motors such as the one on the DVR. They are just about all standard and
interchangable -- especially if you are talking about the 3-phase motors found in any machine
with a variable speed drive.

One minor problem -- the mountings you see most often in the US are either a standard base
mount or what is known as a 'c' face. In the international market, the 'd' flange is more
common than the 'c' face. That is a minor problem and the US is odd man out here -- the 'd'
flange is a better system.

I'm part of the Stubby owners group on Yahoo, there are something over 175 members of the
group and I know of NO motor failures. The motors in our machines are all built by
international companies (several different ones) and they all have sales representatives in
the US. I would guess that no motors are built in Australia or New Zealand.

Are you sure that your dealer/importer is telling you the whole story? And, what is he
trying to sell you in place of the several really nice machines made down there?

Bill

In article ,
says...
As I was shopping for a new lathe a dealer/importer informed me that he no
longer carried lathes from Australia and New Zealand . I asked him why he
replied that he had too many electric motor malfunctions. The time invested
in haggling over the warranty with the original manufacturers located down
under was too much. This made the new lathe owners very dissatisfied with
the downtime in waiting for replacements. Several time electric motors had
to be refurbished locally and the cost absorbed by the dealer.
Now, some original manufacturers are shipping lathes without the electric
motor to avoid replacement problems. It is hard to believe that after
paying from $5,000.00-$10,000.00 one is stuck with a warranty problem
causing down time. Maybe this dealer was putting me on. I wonder if
someone else has had the same problem?

begin 666 Denis.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..DUAFEECM$96YIPT*1DXZ
M1&5N:7,-"D5-04E,.U!2148[24Y415).150Z;6%R:65R9&I ;F(NWEM&%T
I:6-O+F-A#0I2158Z,C P-# Y,3A4,C T,# #05)$#0H`
`
end

Leo Lichtman

Denis Marier wrote: (clip) It is hard to believe that after paying from
$5,000.00-$10,000.00 one is stuck with a warranty problem causing down time.
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And, what production wood lathe hits a $10,000 price tag?

Owen Lowe

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

And, what production wood lathe hits a $10,000 price tag?

Hey Leo. Keep in mind that Denis hails from Canada-eh. So his $10k
translates to, what? $17.99?
Leo Lichtman

"Owen Lowe" wrote: Hey Leo. Keep in mind that Denis hails from Canada-eh. So
his $10k translates to, what? $17.99?
Q: How do you spell Canada?
A: C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?