Doug D

Default General International Lathes

General International appears to be offering a new lathe model 25-650.
It has electronic speed control, 16" swing, swivelling headstock, and
42" between centers. It looks like a green Jet 1642 or a smaller
Powermatic 3520a. I have absolutely no experience with the General or
General International brand. How does the quality of this brand stand
up to a Nova DVR (my first preference) or a Poolewood DVSL (my second
preference but I am not even sure in available in N. America). Any
feedback appreciated.

Doug D
walter

Geneeral makes a good lathe. I have turned on a couple of
them. I think my powermatic 3520a is a better lathe though.
it s should compare well with the DVR I do not know about
the Poolwood. you may want to contact David Ellsworth about
the Poolwood. Walter

General International appears to be offering a new lathe
model 25-650.
It has electronic speed control, 16" swing, swivelling
headstock, and 42" between centers. It looks like a green
Jet 1642 or a smaller Powermatic 3520a. I have absolutely
no experience with the General or General International
brand. How does the quality of this brand stand up to a
Nova DVR (my first preference) or a Poolewood DVSL (my
second preference but I am not even sure in available in
N. America). Any feedback appreciated.

Doug D

Stuart Johnson

I'm not 100 percent on this, but I understand there are two different
Generals. One is Canadian and one Chinese or Tiwaniese. I don't know which is
General International but I would make sure about which I was looking to buy.

Stuart Johnson
Red Oak, Texas

In article , walter wrote:
Geneeral makes a good lathe. I have turned on a couple of

them. I think my powermatic 3520a is a better lathe though.
it s should compare well with the DVR I do not know about
the Poolwood. you may want to contact David Ellsworth about
the Poolwood. Walter

Denis Marier

Years ago General and Poitras has their own foundry.
Now, like many others, they get all their castings and assemblies work done
in China and Taiwan. At one time, the motors and drives were installed in
Canada. Now they may well be installed in China or Taiwan. I did ask
General International for information but to no avail.
They do not have a strong marketing approach in Canada. Dealers are getting
higher markup on other imported lathes.