KRead

Default General International - Quality?

Hi, New to this news group, lots of great information.

I am interested in purchasing some tools:
- 50-250 Table saw
- 40-250 Shaper
- 80-100 6" jointer
- 10-110 2HP dust collector
- 30-300 20" planner

All equipment is General International.
It will be used for hobby type activities, but I go not want to out-grow of
them.

Two questions:
- Is General International of good quality?
- Any thing wrong with the above listed equipment?

Thanks,
Ken

Specter

I have a few General International products. They, like most items in the GI
line-up, are of excellent quality. If you want more first-hand info from a
wide range of users, you should visit one of the Canadian woodworking
forums: http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/c...bbbs_config.pl or
http://www.workshopbuzz.com/cgi-bin/...m/hw_config.pl

Rob

---------------------------------------

"KRead" wrote ...

Two questions:
- Is General International of good quality?
- Any thing wrong with the above listed equipment?

Mike

Hi Ken,

I have the table saw, the jointer....everything is great...
I've never heard anyone complaning about General International except about
their 14" box steel band saw, so don't be afraid...

Good lucks

--
Mike

"KRead" a écrit dans le message de
. ..
Hi, New to this news group, lots of great information.

I am interested in purchasing some tools:
- 50-250 Table saw
- 40-250 Shaper
- 80-100 6" jointer
- 10-110 2HP dust collector
- 30-300 20" planner

All equipment is General International.
It will be used for hobby type activities, but I go not want to out-grow

of
them.

Two questions:
- Is General International of good quality?
- Any thing wrong with the above listed equipment?

Thanks,
Ken

Bob S.

yeah but......gotta be careful with them Canucks ya know. We got one here
that hangs around a bit, David whatsis name and awhile back he damn near got
arrested for hiding some weapons of mass destruction in his garage.
Actually made him go get a locker to put'em in I hear tell.

But I gotta give'em credit, he put me onto the GI mortiser when I was
checking on mortising machines and I was pleasantly surprised at the overall
quality of it. Not made by General you understand but they have their
finger prints on it. Only problem I had was a fence part was machined
slightly wrong and needed to be replaced. Not a problem - says them but it
took a bit over 3 months to get the part from China since they do not stock
any spare parts in Canada - or so I was told. That was almost 2 years ago
so you may want to call their 800 number and ask about part availability.

Bob S.

"Specter" wrote in message
I have a few General International products. They, like most items in the

GI
line-up, are of excellent quality. If you want more first-hand info from a
wide range of users, you should visit one of the Canadian woodworking
forums: http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/c...bbbs_config.pl or
http://www.workshopbuzz.com/cgi-bin/...m/hw_config.pl

Rob

---------------------------------------

"KRead" wrote ...

Two questions:
- Is General International of good quality?
- Any thing wrong with the above listed equipment?

Clint Neufeld

I don't remember hearing anything good about their dust collector (or was it
their air filter... Too much Christmas cheer, I guess). I'd try to find
some more details on that, if I was you. I've got their GI contractor saw.
The saw itself is fine, the manuals suck, however. Since this was the first
saw I'd ever put together, it made it "interesting". But if you know what
you're doing, you shouldn't have any worries.

Clint

"KRead" wrote in message
. ..
Hi, New to this news group, lots of great information.

I am interested in purchasing some tools:
- 50-250 Table saw
- 40-250 Shaper
- 80-100 6" jointer
- 10-110 2HP dust collector
- 30-300 20" planner

All equipment is General International.
It will be used for hobby type activities, but I go not want to out-grow

of
them.

Two questions:
- Is General International of good quality?
- Any thing wrong with the above listed equipment?

Thanks,
Ken

Grizzle

I recently purchased the GI 80-100L 6" long bed jointer. It has a 55" bed
instead of the standard 46". Its 75 lbs heavier than the equivalent Delta.
Only problem was with one of the table extensions had not had the adjustment
screws threaded. I called GI's 800 number and within 3 days I had a new set
at my door by courier along with a prepaid w/b to return the original set.
Have used it to build my new maple top workbench and it works great.

Ray

"Clint Neufeld" wrote in message
I don't remember hearing anything good about their dust collector (or was

it
their air filter... Too much Christmas cheer, I guess). I'd try to find
some more details on that, if I was you. I've got their GI contractor

saw.
The saw itself is fine, the manuals suck, however. Since this was the

first
saw I'd ever put together, it made it "interesting". But if you know what
you're doing, you shouldn't have any worries.

Clint

"KRead" wrote in message
. ..
Hi, New to this news group, lots of great information.

I am interested in purchasing some tools:
- 50-250 Table saw
- 40-250 Shaper
- 80-100 6" jointer
- 10-110 2HP dust collector
- 30-300 20" planner

All equipment is General International.
It will be used for hobby type activities, but I go not want to out-grow

of
them.

Two questions:
- Is General International of good quality?
- Any thing wrong with the above listed equipment?

Thanks,
Ken

BeerBoy

I've got this jointer too. I'm very happy with it. One note though, GI's
manuals stink but they are working on improving them. Customer service is
great though. I emailed them with a problem and got a phone call back
within a couple of days from a very helpful person.

"Grizzle" wrote in message
[...]

. ..