Ralph

Default Wobbly Finishing

Try hand finishing.

Anonymous wrote:
I just turned my first bowl (yay!) and all has gone pretty well until now.

I seem to have turned the sides too thin. They have a bark inclusion and
the mix of hard & soft places on them has left me with a slightly out of
round condition. For the most part that has presented no real problem but
now I am having a difficult time finishing it.

It's a piece of maple about 6" dia. and about 2" high. I've tried CA and
it looks fantastic all the places the sand paper can hit. I then gave
shellac (1# cut) a trial. Ooooh shiny! But the shellac 1) streaks and 2)
suffers the same problem with unevenness.

Is this bowl beyond hope or is there some crafty technique that, once
mastered, will let me finish and wobbly bowl I encounter for the rest of
my troubled life?

I'm leaving this thing on the chuck for now ... which means I am waiting
for answers from the newsgroup before I can start the next bowl.

Bill

Barry N. Turner

Know your customer..........................

Barry

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.08.03.15.19.54468@notarealserver. com...
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:48:40 +0000, Ralph wrote:

Try hand finishing.

I did.

I cross sanded it (at 45's to the linear axis) and then applied HUT
glossy with the circular motion used to spit-shine shoes.

It looks okay, but not as good as I would like. It goes to my Mom who will
be happy to get it and unable to see it well enough to spot the flaws.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Tony Manella

For something the size of a bowl I find it easier to use a wipe on finish,
like danish or tung oil finishes, off of the lathe. They are pretty fool
proof, apply liberally, wipe off. Apply coats until you are happy with the
sheen, oh, and sand between coats with a brown paper bag.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.07.21.27.30.516072@notarealserver .com...
[...]

17:21:02 up 28 days, 1 min, 4 users, load average: 0.34, 0.21, 0.11
17:08:00 up 125 days, 1:09, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Tom Storey

Things you make don't have to be perfect. Personally, I like to make bowls
that wiggle and twist; velly intelisting vot?

Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.
"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.09.22.30.28.901258@notarealserver .com...
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:48:43 -0500, Barry N. Turner wrote:

Know your customer..........................

Barry

I'm in my 50's and she still has the paper tracing I made of my hand in
kindergarten. She gave me back the silhouette of my head from third grade
and the slanted book shelf I made in 7th grade. She kept the pie server
from 9th grade. Now her eyesight is failing her pretty rapidly. She'll be
able to see the really nice figuring and coloration but will never notice
the swirl marks in the bottom of the bowl. They'll be covered up with the
Jordan Almonds I'm sending along, anyways. :-)

I didn't want to leave the impression that I was thinking along the
disrespectful lines of "Oh, it's just Mom .. I can send her just any old
junk." The truth is, with the exception of my wife and sons, my Mom is
probably the only member of my family who would not go over the gift piece
with a magnifying glass and then pounce on me for any flaw ... real or
imagined ... no matter how minor it might be. I'm learning as I go and
this is the first piece I think is good enough to let get away from my
control. It's got flaws ... so did the hand tracing ... but she's still my
Mom and it's okay if she knows that I am not perfect.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)
Uptimes below for the machines that created / host these sites.
18:17:00 up 30 days, 57 min, 4 users, load average: 0.08, 0.17, 0.17
18:04:00 up 127 days, 2:05, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00